This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.046 / 56°2'45"N
Longitude: -2.7822 / 2°46'56"W
OS Eastings: 351368
OS Northings: 683959
OS Grid: NT513839
Mapcode National: GBR 2R.R4VS
Mapcode Global: WH7TK.79CD
Plus Code: 9C8V26W9+C4
Entry Name: The Old Manse, Manse Road, Dirleton
Listing Name: Dirleton Village, Manse Road, the Old Manse
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331873
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1342
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal
Traditional County: East Lothian
Earlier to mid 18th century altered in earlier 19th
century, 7-bay almost symmetrical 2-storey house with
single storey cottage and outbuilding adjoining, raised
and embellished in earlier 19th century. Random rubble
with droved ashlar dressings and chamfered arrises to
E ELEVATION: former centre window bipartite. Gabled
full-height porches flanking with doorways to E side of
left porch, to N side of right porch. Partly harled above
ground with openings to E and N at 1st floor. Narrow
slits to gableheads, gablet skews and skewputts with
finials. 2 outer bays flanking each side, intercepted to
left by single storey, earlier 19th century cottage at
right angles, adjoined to right by porch linking with
gabled single bay outbuilding. Further gabled outbuilding
recessed and adjoining to right, converted as garage. 3
wallhead dormers to main house gabled and finialled to
centre and outer bays.
SINGLE STOREY COTTAGE: tripartite, stone mullioned light to
E elevation, gabled as above. 3 openings to N side,
1 blind. S side with gabled porch, entered from E.
W ELEVATION: irregular openings, some enlarged. 3
piend-roofed slate-hung dormers, smallest at centre.
N AND S GABLES: projecting and battered stacks and
adjoining single storey buildings (as above).
Variety of small pane glazing to sash and case windows.
Straight skews. Coped stacks with linked diamond ashlar
stacks above. Slated roof.
Walled garden to W with high, random rubble, rubble
1633 date stone above left porch is erroneous recent
addition. Served as manse until 1825 when poor condition
prompted new building. Dormers and porch form echo that of
Castle Inn to left, possibly added to old manse circa 1825
and possibly by William Burn who worked on the Inn. Raised
masonry evidence below eaves to W.
Other nearby listed buildings