History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gullane, Sandy Loan, St Adrians Episcopal Church

A Category B Listed Building in Dirleton, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0356 / 56°2'8"N

Longitude: -2.8363 / 2°50'10"W

OS Eastings: 347985

OS Northings: 682836

OS Grid: NT479828

Mapcode National: GBR 2P.RQQV

Mapcode Global: WH7TJ.DKLD

Entry Name: Gullane, Sandy Loan, St Adrians Episcopal Church

Listing Date: 7 December 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331925

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1371

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dirleton

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Gullane

Description

Reginald Fairlie, 1926. Simple planned aisleless, Arts
and Crafts, neo-Norman church. Mannered cream
sandstone rubble.
5-bay nave and 2-bay chancel, low tower adjoined at
entrance end of nave to N. Completed 1935. Single
round-headed light with chamfered margin to N at
2nd stage. Simple doorway at E side and 2 round arched
lights to W. Shallow upper stage with 3 narrow slits to
each face, above ashlar set-off and with ashlar eaves
course; pyramidal roof and finial. Gabled porch
projecting at NW.
N with round arched opening and double panelled doors
to inner doors.
Nave windows round arched, chancel pointed with loop
traceried E window; cross finial to E gable. Lean to
harling chamber at SW.
Swept eaves to slated pyramidal roof.
INTERIOR: vestry at foot of tower, entered from nave.
Wide chancel arch, on sandstone piers. Panelled timber
coomb ceiling with circular vents. Parquet floor to
chancel 1927. Stone pulpit with blind Norman arches.
Decorative, burnished steel lectern 1926, accompanying
wall book-rest and stair balustrade to pulpit. No
embrasures to windows. Some stained glass. Chancel
tripartite by Douglas Strachan circa 1926. Organ 1947.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Architect's fee

$276, tradesmen $4,212 and tower completion $420. Mottled

masonry indicates raising of tower. Blocked door intended to

lead to unrealised lobby. Lorimerian training of architect

is evident.

Interior bears comparison with the plain simplicity of

Lethaby's Brockhampton Church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.