History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge, gatepiers and boundary walls, Broxmouth Park

A Category B Listed Building in Dunbar, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9949 / 55°59'41"N

Longitude: -2.4883 / 2°29'17"W

OS Eastings: 369640

OS Northings: 678096

OS Grid: NT696780

Mapcode National: GBR ND6W.4SK

Mapcode Global: WH8W0.RL94

Plus Code: 9C7VXGV6+WM

Entry Name: Bridge, gatepiers and boundary walls, Broxmouth Park

Listing Name: Broxmouth Park (Broxmouth House) with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Bridge

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332080

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1470

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunbar

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton

Parish: Dunbar

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in


Probably James Nisbet, circa 1775 and possibly
incorporating the earlier house. 2-storey, classical
U-plan mansion with raised basement in falling ground to
N. Harled with grey and red sandstone ashlar dressings.
Band course at ground floor level; moulded cornice below
ashlar parapet.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: 2-storey. Slightly advanced
pedimented bay at centre with raised quoins. Tripartite
doorway with panelled 2-leaf door and decorative
fanlight. Single storey, Roman doric columned portico,
probably added later. Tripartite window at 1st floor. 3
bays flanking to each side with tall ground floor
windows, smaller at 1st floor.
W ELEVATION bowed, full-height bay at centre in ashlar,
probably added later, with French windows at ground
floor and to basement. Decorative later 19th century
wrought-iron balcony with later ram's horn stair
adjoined. 2 bays flanking to each side with windows at
each floor.
E ELEVATION: 6 bays to main house with regular windows at
basement, ground and 1st floor; lower, recessed 2-bay
addition at N end and curtain wall remainder of former
3-storey 7-bay gabled extension to wing (demolished
after 1955 and a later addition). Garage doorways
inserted to basement of main house at right and 2
recessed bays.
N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: formerly enclosed by coped
rubble wall at N end. Full-height rectangular stair
projection in re-entrant angle by W wing with small
oculus and tall stair windows. Wide doorway at ground at
centre; regularly windowed bays to remaining elevations.
Doorway at right of recessed 2-bay eastern extension.
Harled lean-to garage set on site of demolished
extension. Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case
windows. Grey slates to piend roofs with ashlar ridge
tiles; coped red sandstone ashlar ridge stacks.
Cast-iron arrowhead and urn finialled railings by
basement area, flanking S elevation to E and W.
Decorative lamp standards to drive, dated 1902.
INTERIOR: fine chimneypieces of original and mid 19th
century dates.
PARK WALLS AND GATEPIERS: red rubble sandstone boundary
walls enclosing policies and deer park of Broxmouth, and
farming boundary with golf links. Several gateways with
rusticated ashlar piers and moulded coping. Deer park
was landscaped in 1845.
BRIDGE: sited by golf links over small burn; arched
sandstone span of about 3 metres in width, with boundary
wall as parapet to links side only.

Statement of Interest

Broxmouth estate developed as a bower house for the Duke of Roxburgh. Allegedly Cromwell stayed in grounds before Battle of Dunbar. The furniture was inventoried in late 17th century and the mansion described in early 18th, as a 'fine pallace'. However, Nisbet's report of 1774, based on a sketched U-plan, described the perilous state of the house and recommended "to possess the House with safety to case it Round with Buttresses"; as this does not occur and new elevations were raised, we may presume that Nisbet was the architect. How much of the former mansion is included has not been determined. The walled garden (listed separately) may have been built for the earlier house. Queen Victoria visited the mansion in 1878.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.