This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8331 / 55°49'59"N
Longitude: -2.1262 / 2°7'34"W
OS Eastings: 392193
OS Northings: 659997
OS Grid: NT921599
Mapcode National: GBR F0LZ.HT
Mapcode Global: WH9Y3.9NS3
Entry Name: Peelwalls House Including Garden Walls, Boundary Walls, Railings, Quadrant Walls, Railings, Piers, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332792
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1990
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Circa 1830, with later additions and alterations; converted for use as residential nursing home 20th century. Symmetrical 2-storey, 5- by 2-bay classical house with full-height rear addition forming near square-plan; lower, 2-storey wings projecting at rear with single storey piended additions beyond forming near U-plan; later 2-storey rear addition recessed at centre forming E-plan; modern, flat-roofed block recessed to side. Rusticated cream sandstone ashlar at ground to front; coursed ashlar at 1st floor and to sides; some tooled and coursed cream sandstone to rear additions; ashlar dressings throughout. Base course; band course in part; eaves course; corniced eaves; blocking course. Predominantly architraved margins and panelled aprons to main block (corniced at 1st floor to front); plain margins to rear; projecting cills.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: step to central entrance comprising 2-leaf timber panelled door; decorative fanlight; classical door-surround with detached fluted Doric columns, decorative frieze of triglyphs with guttae and metopes, dentilled cornice. Single windows at ground in remaining bays flanking entrance; single windows in all bays at 1st floor.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay block to outer right with corniced, canted window centred at ground; single windows in both bays at 1st floor. Full-height, 2-bay wing recessed to left with canted windows at both floors to right; single windows at both floors to left. Regularly fenestrated lower, 4-bay addition advanced to left. Single storey addition to outer left with single window off-set to right; coped wall enclosing site beyond.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: single window in central wing. Wider flanking wings with various openings in single storey, piended additions projecting at ground. Flat-roofed addition recessed to left.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay block to outer left with canted window centred at ground; single windows at both floors at 1st floor. Full-height, 3-bay wing recessed to right with tripartite windows at both floors at centre (narrow side-lights); single windows at both floors in flanking bays. Lower, 4-bay addition to left with modern, flat-roofed projection at ground; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Single storey addition to outer right with single window to left; boarded timber door to right; coped wall enclosing site beyond.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roofs. Corniced sandstone ridge stacks with tapering square-plan, corniced cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: adapted for use as residential nursing home late 20th century. Entrance hall with timber panelled walls in part; timber dado rails; architraved surrounds to timber panelled doors. Later 19th century main stair with barley-twist timber uprights, square-plan timber panelled and finialled newels, timber handrails. Ground floor reception room with decorative plasterwork; corniced and pilastered door surround; decorative fireplace. Remainder not seen.
GARDEN WALLS: various rubble-coped, rubble garden walls.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, QUADRANT WALLS, RAILINGS, PIERS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: square-coped rubble sandstone walls enclosing site to road with plain, ball-finialled railings above. Rubble-coped quadrant walls flanking N entrance with pyramidal-capped, square-plan outer piers. Low, coped quadrant walls flanking S entrance with finialled railings and rusticated, square-plan, pyramidal-capped outer piers. Rusticated, square-plan gatepiers flanking vehicular entrance with ball-finialled, corniced caps; 2-leaf decorative iron gates.
B Group comprises 'Peelwalls House', 'Peelwalls North Lodge', 'Peelwalls South Lodge' and 'Peelwalls Walled Garden' - see separate list entries. An impressive classical house, with much of its original detailing intact. The NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, completed in 1834, records how "...within the last three or four years [the Peelwalls estate] has undergone an extraordinary metamorphosis under the judicious management of a new proprietor. An elegant new mansion-house has been built of beautiful hewn stone, brought from the far-famed quarries of Killala [sic - Cullalo], in Fifeshire; and the grounds and public roads have been so completely changed and improved, that any one who has not seen the place during that short period would be utterly at a loss to recognize it as the same." Rutherfurd notes a Mrs Cosens, formerly Agnes Dickson - the only child of John Dickson Esq of Peelwalls, as owner of the house in 1866. The remains of a classically-detailed bridge can still be seen along the S drive - the balusters to the E side having been destroyed/removed, and those to the W being completely obscured by overgrowth (1998).
Other nearby listed buildings