This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0523 / 57°3'8"N
Longitude: -2.7585 / 2°45'30"W
OS Eastings: 354084
OS Northings: 795944
OS Grid: NO540959
Mapcode National: GBR WS.9LRX
Mapcode Global: WH7NQ.L0MH
Plus Code: 9C9V362R+WH
Entry Name: Newmill
Listing Name: Newmill Farmhouse, Including Kennels to South
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334076
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3096
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1800. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan traditional farmhouse. Coursed pink granite rubble with long and short dressings.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; replacement 2-leaf boarded timber door with glazed panels, to centre of ground floor, window to each flanking bay; regular fenestration to 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; harled; asymmetrical. Window off-centre to right of ground and 1st floors; lean-to addition to outer right with infilled opening.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; stone lean-to addition to left of ground floor, window off-centre to right; 2 2-pane skylights to roof; boarded timber lean-to to right of ground floor, irregular fenestration, boarded timber door with 6 glazed panels to re-entrant angle to left. Single window off-centre to right of 1st floor. 2 modern skylights to attic.
SW ELEVATION: gabled; blank.
Predominantly modern timber windows with top hoppers. Graded grey slate roof with stone ridge. Stone skews. Coped granite gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron and PVCu rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
KENNELS: Circa 1900. Single storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan kennels to S of house. Coursed rubble with harling. Irregular door and window openings; overhanging eaves; slate roof, swept down to W; coped granite stack breaking eaves to W with octagonal and round cans. Coped rubble enclosing wall to E surmounted by ironwork railings forming 2 runs.
The mill on the site ceased to be used in 1847, and the present "good house of two stories" replaces the mansion house of the Ross family, who owned the estate from 1667 until the mid to later 18th century. According to Callander, Newmill was at one time an ale house.