This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0704 / 57°4'13"N
Longitude: -2.7915 / 2°47'29"W
OS Eastings: 352109
OS Northings: 797983
OS Grid: NO521979
Mapcode National: GBR WQ.8RHF
Mapcode Global: WH7NJ.3K04
Plus Code: 9C9V36C5+5C
Entry Name: The Glebe House, Aboyne
Listing Name: Aboyne, the Glebe House (Formerly Aboyne Manse), Including Ancillary Structure, Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334103
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3117
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aboyne and Glen Tanar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Aboyne And Glen Tanar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1790; addition 1835. 3-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan former manse, 2-storey and basement, 2-bay addition forming L-plan. Harled to S and E, pink and grey tooled coursed granite with cherry cocking to N and W. Base course and eaves course to 1835 addition.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay. Gabled 1835 addition advanced to left, 2-storey, 2-bay with regular fenestraiton; single storey addition to ground floor of left return, flanked by single window to left; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floor of right return, square-pane leaded window above single storey porch in re-enrant angle, panelled timber door to E with decorative fanlight, single window to S. 1790 bays to right, window to 1st and 2nd floors of penultimate bay to right, regular fenestration to bay to outer right.
E ELEVATION: near-symmetrical gabled bay; window off-centre to right of ground floor; 4-pane window set in gablehead of attic floor.
N ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; irregular fenestration to ground and basement floors; stair windows between ground and 1st floor, and 1st and 2nd floors of centre bay, small 4-pane window to 2nd floor; regular fenestration to flanking bay to left; 2-pane window to 2nd floor of bay to right; boarded timber larder to right of ground floor.
W ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 2-bay; ground floor obscured by single storey piend-roofed addtion with 2 windows, window to left return, addition adjoining to right (see above); regular fenestration to 1st floor; regularly placed fenestration to 2nd floor, 2-pane replacement window to right; small single pane window set in gablehead of attic floor; 1835 addition adjoining to right.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, graded to 1835 addition, with lead ridge. Stone skews. Coped gablehead stacks with circular cans to 1790 house; coped paired diamond end gablehead stack and single diamond end wallhead stack with octagonal can to 1835 addition. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, U-plan former stables to N of house. Pink granite rubble with tooled long and short dressings; boarded timber doors; timber windows with top hoppers.
S Elevation: near-symmetrical; 4-bay central bays with boarded timber door to each except window to penultimate bay to left; dormer with boarded timber opening to breaking eaves to left. Bay to outer left advanced with large 2-leaf timber door; window to right return. Bay to outer right advanced with large 2-leaf timbe rdoor to left and sliding timber door to right, 2 blind windows above; timber door to left return.
E Elevation: aysmmetrical; door to centre flanked to left by large boarded and glazed sliding door.
N Elevation: asymmetrical; panelled door to right flanked to right by window.
6-pane timber windows. Slate roof with lead ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Interior: rubble walls, timber roof, 9 stone and timber nesting boxes.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: square-plan bullfaced granite gatepiers to NE of house with semi-spherical caps, flanked by short section of bullfaced wall with bullfaced coping stepped up.
B-Group with Aboyne, The Glebe House, Walled Garden. The manse was sold in 1946, and a new manse was acquired in St. Eunan's Road, Aboyne. Originally the manse was accompanied by 20 acres of "such worthless soil", only some of which remains under its ownership today. It is described by Dinnie as "a neat building situated on a beautiful retired spot among the woods" (p158).
Other nearby listed buildings