This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.3156 / 55°18'56"N
Longitude: -3.7443 / 3°44'39"W
OS Eastings: 289399
OS Northings: 603776
OS Grid: NS893037
Mapcode National: GBR 269Z.5B
Mapcode Global: WH5V9.GN7C
Entry Name: Durisdeer Village Durisdeer Parish Church, Queensberry Mausoleum, Former School/Vestry and Churchyard
Listing Date: 3 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335017
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3856
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
All probably by James Smith. 1718-20 church and west wing
with vestry (latter built as Ducal Withdrawing Rooms and
session house) with square tower above, adjoining circa 1708
Queensberry mausoleum; latter houses "Queensberry marbles".
Church and mausoleum arranged in Greek-cross plan, wing and
tower to west. Mausoleum built of polished ashlar; remainder rubble-built with pink ashlar dressings, channelled quoins
and continuous moulded cornice. Re-roofed in simplified form
by Andrew Watson, joiner 1784-5 and again re-roofed 1957.
Mausoleum: adjoins north wall of church; square-plan;
polished ashlar with bell-cast leaded roof; altered circa
1711 - shallow outshot on north wall (replacing flamboyant
traceried window) to accomodate marble sepulchral mural
monument by John Van Nost, and square-headed window slapped
in east and west walls (former now a door); Queensberry vault
below elaborate white marble baldacchino (also by Smith) on 4 barley-sugar columns. Church: (1699 sundial on jam is re-set)
windows mostly round-headed, in bolection-moulded
architraves; small-paned glazing (not original); rusticated square-headed doorway to east and to south, each linked with
gallery window cill; interior: (renovated 1784-5 and
re-arranged circa 1870) separated from mausoleum by wide
segmental arch with elaborate wrought-iron gates; pulpit
with back board now placed against these; boxed communion
pews; 3 galleries, each with panelled front and 2 supporting
columns; west gallery also by Andrew Watson. West wing: (at
present, part disused, part used as vestry, part as Sunday
School - possibly never completed. 2 storeys;
rectangular-plan; long west wall 3 bays with central door;
4-bay flanks with close-spaced windows. Door in
bolection-moulded and lugged architrave, with dentilled
cornice and round-headed window above; other windows all
square-headed, and linked between floors by shallow aprons.
Each face of tower has blind oculus (originally with
small-paned glazing) to lower stage; louvered, Y-traceried
and round-headed belfry opening to upper stage, cornice, and
low parapet (spire removed 1825).
Interior: stone scale and platt stair, with curved nosings,
on west wall beside main door; vaulted passage at foot of
tower (now housing boiler) with original entry to church now
blocked; wheel stair to tower entered in base of north west
angle; some bolection-moulded fireplaces (flues in steeple).
Churchyard: some fine 17th-19th century stone monuments,
many with classical ornament; martyr's monuments (to Daniel
MacMichael) and 1685 monument to children of William Lukup,
Master of Works at Drumlanrig.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Roof of south jam of
church originally identical to that of mausoleum, ie
bell-cast and leaded; body of church originally had "a
pavilion roof (with) plates of lead alongst the peens" (ie
angles); steeple which was "about 90' high beside the rod
that carries the weather-cock" was leaded and windowed; it
was removed 1825 following storm damage. No direct reference
in presbytery minutes to building of church, but there is a
gap in the minutes 2.1.1717-2.12.1719.
Pulpit originally on east corner of junction between body of
church and jam; area before mausoleum originally open. NRA(S)
1275 includes accounts ".... charge and discharge 1717-8
including building church at Durisdeer," etc.
Other nearby listed buildings