This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0509 / 56°3'3"N
Longitude: -4.4376 / 4°26'15"W
OS Eastings: 248280
OS Northings: 686903
OS Grid: NS482869
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.QYW3
Mapcode Global: WH3N6.T50N
Plus Code: 9C8Q3H26+9W
Entry Name: Sundial, Park Of Drumquhassle
Listing Name: Park of Drumquhassle, Sundial to South East of House
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335080
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3903
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Dated 1710. Sandstone ashlar columnar sundial with horizontal copper dial. Moulded base to column; moulded capital at apex; surmounted by corniced square-plan dial base. Octagonal dial inscribed 'Guhellmus Govane de Drumquhassle fecit' ('made by William Govane of Drumquhassle') and 'W.G. 1710' and 'K.E. 1710'. Much astrological information also given. Decorative pointer inscribed with 3 lines of Latin verse on each side.
B-Group with Park of Drumquhassle and Dovecot to N of house. A fine intact early 18th century columnar sundial. The dial is fairly lavishly inscribed. The initials 'W.G.' would appear to refer to William Govane and 'K.E.' to his wife, Katherine Edmonstone (they also constructed the dovecot in the following year). The lines of Latin verse along the pointer read as follows: 'Vita brevis, velut umbra levis, sic annichilatur/Hora fluit, nec morari potest/... Memor ...sibi(?) cura(?)./ Nam vadit subitoque cadit, dum stare putatur/Tempus ruit nec revocari potest/(Ex) hoc momento.. aeternita(s)' (Stevenson). There appears to have been a substantial residence on the site since at least the mid-later 16th century, when 'Drumquhassle Castle' was cited as the 'principal messuage' of the newly created barony of Drumquhassle. The house was rebuilt in 1839 by Robert Govane. The estate belonged to the Govanes for over 200 years from about the late 17th century until the 1910's when it was purchased by the family of the present (1999) occupant.
Other nearby listed buildings