This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2395 / 56°14'22"N
Longitude: -4.2243 / 4°13'27"W
OS Eastings: 262244
OS Northings: 707439
OS Grid: NN622074
Mapcode National: GBR 10.BYT2
Mapcode Global: WH4NH.2FQL
Entry Name: Callandrade
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335191
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4014
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1830s-1840s asymmetrical 2-storey L-plan house. Features which elevate the restrained design include the striking polygonal stacks enlivening the roof profile and a prominent gabled bay to the principal S elevation. Late 19th century alterations are sympathetically composed. The house is recognised as a good example of a small country house in the Callander Parish which has remained largely unaltered. The house remains set within its original policies which are well planted with mature trees including an impressive avenue of beech trees.
The principal S elevation is simply organised with 2 large ground floor windows lighting the drawing room. The windows to the 1st floor are smaller and set at the eaves. The gabled bay to the right which is set slightly advanced from the main elevation is dominated by the exposed chimney breast with narrow windows flanking it at the 1st floor, and a single window set to the right at the ground floor. The gable was probably originally blank suggested by the fresh looking dressings around the windows, the way they are keyed in, and the vertical form they take as opposed to the horizontal form of the majority of the windows. The windows were most likely inserted in the 20th century. The single storey stone built gabled porch was added in the later/late 19th century.
The side W elevation is relatively plain, the low long window to the ground floor is probably a later insertion giving access to the garden.
The rear N elevation is organised with a double gabled 2-storey wing facing into the former rear service yard. This wing houses the kitchen at the ground floor right, and the stair well to the centre. It is possible that part of this wing was originally single storey and heightened at a later date as there is a clear change in the stone work at the 1st floor. To the far left is a single storey and attic servants'/office wing with a flat roofed section facing into the service yard, it dates probably from the late 19th century. It is arranged with four equally spaced windows and a door set close to the main body of the house.
The E elevation has a canted bay to ground floor with full length windows and a stone slab roof. To the right of this is a narrow slightly advanced gabled block with a long bipartite window to the ground floor. This block appears to have been built in the late 19th century fitted against the stairwell wing inside. The single storey and attic wing runs to the N with 3 equally spaced windows at the ground floor, centred above these are 3 large dormer windows possibly inserted in the 20th century.
Interior: Some modernisation including the loss of all original chimney pieces. Features of interest remaining include deep red and black Minton tiles to the porch. Dogleg timber stair with decorative cast-iron baluster and timber handrail. Six panelled timber doors to ground floor with panelled timber reveals. Timber panelled window shutters throughout. Decorative cornicing throughout ground floor, simple cornices with some coombed ceilings to 1st floor. Range opening to kitchen still survives. The servants' wing remains largely unmodernised with a series of small rooms to the ground and attic floor, the attic floor is accessed by its own stair.
Materials: Coursed rubble 'pudding stone' to original house, squared to late 19th century additions. Sandstone basecourse and dressings to openings and quoins. Panelled timber twin leaf door to principal elevation and rear servants' wing. Variety of timber multi-paned sash and case and casement windows including lying-pane glazing. Exposed rafters to deep overhanging eaves. Timber gabled dormers with exposed rafters and slate hung. Pitched grey slate roofs. Gable apex, ridge and wallhead ashlar paired and tripartite polygonally-shaped stacks with circular cans remaining to all. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
The nearby lodge and former coach house and cottage were originally known as West Mains and are described in the Perthshire Name Book of 1865 as 'a farmhouse one storey in height with suitable offices attached'. Callandrade at this time was known as Callander Cottage and is described in the same name book as 'A dwelling house two stories in height, slated and in good repair'. The 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map 1898-1899 shows the farmhouse named as a lodge and a drive leading from it to the house. The lodge, coach house and cottage are not listed as they have been greatly modernised both externally and internally. It should be noted that they are still of general interest and sit well within the policies.
Other nearby listed buildings