This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2414 / 56°14'28"N
Longitude: -4.2256 / 4°13'32"W
OS Eastings: 262165
OS Northings: 707653
OS Grid: NN621076
Mapcode National: GBR 10.BQNQ
Mapcode Global: WH4NH.2D24
Plus Code: 9C8Q6QRF+GP
Entry Name: Burial Ground, Little Leny, Callendar
Listing Name: Little Leny, Buchanan Burial Enclosure and Burial Ground at Confluence of Eas Gobhain and Garbe Usige
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335193
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4015
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Buchanan of Leny burial enclosure with adjacent burial ground situated on a hillock at the confluence of the Eas Gobhain and Garbe Usige. Set to the S of Callander close by to the former Callander & Oban Railway Line, now a cycling path, 2004. The enclosure would appear to be 18th century as the earliest memorial plaques date from 1724. The burial ground seems to date from the 19th century as indicated by the gravestones. The site is bounded by mature oak trees and can prove to be inacccessbile at times as the surrounding land is liable to flood. Of good local interest.
The rectangular-plan burial enclosure is situated to the NW of the site with the burial ground surrounding it to the W, S and E. As well as the trees which bounder the site there is cast-iron fence running around the periphery. The enclosure is entered through a round arched entrance with a cast-iron gate situated to the S. A finial above the entrance reads 'The Buchanan Chapel 1214'. It is reputed that a chapel once stood here but was re-sited due to a shift in the course of the river. It is possible that early fabric from the chapel is incorporated in the walls to the enclosure.
There are 20 gravemarkers or memorial stones to the enclosure, with many of the inscriptions only being partly legible. Of these are a series of 4 sandstone wall mounted plaques to the W, N and E dating from 1724. That to the N face reads 'The bell tolleth to the famelie of Bochastel at 19 boots of lenth upon both the syd vals ' WB, IB, 1724. Also to the N wall is a granite plaque erected in 1995 dedicated to Dugald Buchanan. The inscription reads 'Gaelic poet, teacher, evangelist ' This monument marks his resting place and commemorates his gifts of inspired language and sacred song by which the literature of his native highlands has ben enriched'.
To the surrounding burial ground are a number of 19th and 20th century gravestones with some contained within 3 railed enclosures.
Random rubble with smeared pointing, triangular copes.
The burial ground is the resting place of the ancient family of the Buchanans of Leny. The Statistical Account of 1794 states that Alexander II in 1237 gave the charter of Leney to the Buchanan family (for further information see Leny House list description). The Buchanan connection with Leny House and Leny Estate seems to have ended in the early/earlier 20th century when the estate was sold. The burial ground, however, appears to still be in use there are inscriptions on gravestones dating from the 21st century. There is a further resting place for the Buchanan family at Leny House Walled Garden, (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings