This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2452 / 56°14'42"N
Longitude: -4.2209 / 4°13'15"W
OS Eastings: 262474
OS Northings: 708075
OS Grid: NN624080
Mapcode National: GBR 10.BKQM
Mapcode Global: WH4NH.49B5
Plus Code: 9C8Q6QWH+3J
Entry Name: St Andrew's Episcopal Church, Leny Road, Callander
Listing Name: Leny Road, St Andrew's Episcopal Church Including Hall, Boundary Wall, Railings, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358583
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22895
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1857 by J.,W.H. & J.M. Hay. Attractive small cruciform-plan church built in the Rural Decorated Gothic style. With later 19th century half-octagon-plan sanctuary, transepts and adjoined rectangular-plan single storey hall to rear. The church is setback to the rear of its plot with a lawned area and large cedar tree with a sweeping driveway from the SE.
It should be noted that at the time of the site visit, (2004) the church was undergoing a major refurbishment programme, both externally and internally.
Initially the church only consisted of the nave with the bellcote to the W gable and the porch to the S. In 1872 the sanctuary to the E was added with the N and S transepts following in 1886. The hall was built in 1891.
The nave is lit by simple pointed arched lancets with a plate traceried window to the W gable. The sanctuary and transepts are lit by cusped lancets with plate traceried windows to the transept gable ends.
The church has plastered white walls with timber boarding to dado height (the pews at the time of the site visit had been removed), the W wall is exposed rubble. There is a pointed stone chancel arch giving access to the sanctuary. Deep red Minton tiles in the nave arranged in a geometric design, more minton tiles in the sanctuary. Dark-stained timber scissors-raftered roof with diagonal boarding and arch bracing at crossing. Stained glass windows in the chancel depict Christ with Mary, the Crucifixion and the resurrected Christ. A stained glass window depicting the Annunciation is located to the S transept. The 2-light stained glass window to the W gable has a composition of baptismal themes and is dedicated to the memory of the Rev. Thomas Wildman, 1882.
The hall is predominantly lit by a stepped tripartite window to the W. At the time of the site visit there was full height painted timber boarding running into the boarded coomed ceiling.
Random rubble 'pudding stone' with sandstone dressings to openings (stugged sandstone dressings to sanctuary). Moulded blind arcade detailing set to gable apex of transepts surmounted by Celtic Cross shaped finials. A cross shaped finial to bellcote. Stained timber boarded main door with timber panelled and coloured leaded lights to porch door. Grey slated roofs, bellcast swept at eaves with sparred eaves. Slated ventilators with cusped timber detailing. Red clay ridge tiles.
Boundary Wall, Railings, Gatepiers and Gates
Low coped boundary wall to the S with decorative cast iron railings. Gatepiers set to the SW; square-plan with panel motif and corniced caps, (at the time of the site visit the left gatepier had been removed for vehicular access). Decorative cast iron gate, removed at time of site visit. The railings continue to the adjacent property with a corresponding gatepier as the adjacent property was historically the manse (the house is currently unlisted, 2004).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings