This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2865 / 56°17'11"N
Longitude: -4.61 / 4°36'36"W
OS Eastings: 238539
OS Northings: 713512
OS Grid: NN385135
Mapcode National: GBR 0K.7VQN
Mapcode Global: WH3LZ.5801
Plus Code: 9C8Q79PQ+JX
Entry Name: Macgregor Of Glengyle Burial Enclosure, Glengyle House
Listing Name: Glengyle, Macgregor of Glengyle Burial Enclosure
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335201
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4023
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
18th century small square-plan burial enclosure set up on rising ground to the NW of Glengyle House (see separate listing), possibly built on the site of a 17th century burial ground. Close relationship with Glengyle House and being one of the historical burial grounds of the MacGregors of Glengyle. The legendary Rob Roy MacGregor was born at Glengyle in 1671. He is however not buried at this site, instead resting in the burial ground of The Old Parish Church in Balquhidder (see separate listing).
The exterior of the burial ground is unornamented apart from a ball finial set to each corner, it is entered through a segmentally headed doorway to the SW. There are a number of table tombs, gravestones and wall mounted memorial plaques appearing to date from the 19th century. A circa 17th century weathered red sandstone figurative memorial appears to have been inserted into the wall. The enclosure is dominated by a large Celtic Cross which oversails the walls, it appears to date from the 19th century. A simple memorial plaque commemorates Colonel Gregor MacGregor 'Ghlune Dhu' (Rob Roy's nephew) who was involved in both the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite uprisings, he died in 1777 aged 88.
Materials: Random rubble, ashlar copes, moulded sandstone ball finials.
B-Group with Glengyle House and Glengyle House Steading. Formerly listed as McGregor of Glengyle burial ground, Glenygle, Loch Katrine. The Clan Gregor became established in Glengyle in the earlier 17th century and later expanded in strength into Balquhidder, Glen Orchy, Breadalbane and Rannoch. The clans expansion was curtailed by the government in 1611 when they were prosecuted by Act of Privy Council. The MacGregors retained their house and land at Glengyle. The Glengyle Estate was purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1918. Dorothy Wordsworth visited in the early 19th century recording her visit in her journal 'a square enclosure like a pinfold, with a stone ball at every corner'..a dismal spot, containing four of five graves overgrown with long grass, nettles, brambles and a monument to the memory of one of the lairds' [Gifford]. There is another MacGregor of Glengyle burial site located at nearby Portnellan (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings