History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Category B Listed Building in Trossachs and Teith, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.2859 / 56°17'9"N

Longitude: -4.6091 / 4°36'32"W

OS Eastings: 238591

OS Northings: 713437

OS Grid: NN385134

Mapcode National: GBR 0K.7VYB

Mapcode Global: WH3LZ.58FJ

Plus Code: 9C8Q79PR+88

Entry Name: Glengyle

Listing Name: Glengyle House Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 19 August 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335202

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4024

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Callander

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Callander

Traditional County: Perthshire

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

18th century, perhaps containing earlier fabric, with later alterations and additions. 2-storey and attic 3-bay house with crowstepped gables and dormerheads, 2-storey piend-roofed wing to W, further 2 storey gabled wing adjoining at NW corner. Although altered in the 19th and 20th centuries the house has an historic association with Rob Roy MacGregor, who was born at Glengyle, and subsequent references to the property in 19th century Romantic literature.

At its core is an 18th century 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical house. In 1918 the Glengyle Estate was purchased by Glasgow Corporation, various alterations were made including bipartite windows inserted at ground floor, the addition of a crenellated entrance porch, and crowsteps to the principal gables and dormerheads. Masked by the porch is a bolection-moulded doorpiece with 2 surmounting datestones. One is dated 1704 appearing to have been altered from 1764, inscribed with J McG JB, the other 1728 with MH. Irregular fenestration to rear, 2 eye-shaped windows in the form of gunloops situated close to the ground level. The principal wing may have been added in the earlier 19th century to accommodate a new drawing room, the comprehensive recasting of the house in the early 20th century makes this difficult to confirm.

After acquisition by the Corporation, the interior was subdivided into 3 houses for its workers, each with its own staircase. Access to the interior was not gained at the time of the site visit, 2005, however it is known that the interior was significantly altered during the 20th century.


White painted roughcast walls, margins to openings and corners painted red. 20th century timber sash and case windows with six pane uppers and plate glass below, decorative tessellated glazing to porch. Grey slate roof. Roughcast stacks with variety of cans (square to house).

Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

The house is set in a wedge-shaped site, tapering to the E, bounded to N and S by random rubble walls. The formal entrance is at the eastern extent of the site; circular stone gatepiers with domed caps, wrought iron 2-leaf gates, informal crenellation to flanking walls.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Glengyle House Steading, MacGregor of Glengyle Burial Enclosure. Rob Roy MacGregor was born at Glengyle on 7th of March 1671. Glengyle house was burnt in both 1715 and 1745. It is not clear whether the remains of these earlier structures are incorporated within the house as it stands today, 2005. Glengyle House appears on General Roy's map of 1745. Glengyle is mentioned by Sir Walter Scott in The Lady of Lake (1810) and Rob Roy (1819). Loch Katrine and Glengyle became extremely popular places of Romantic and literary pilgrimage in the 19th century, both William Wordsworth and James Hogg are known to have visited. A MacGregor of Glengyle burial ground is located to the W of the house, see separate list description. It should be noted that there is another MacGregor of Glengyle burial ground at nearby Portnellan, see separate list description. There is a steading range located to the rear of the house, see separate listing. In the late 20th century the estate came under the management of Scottish Water and the house was returned to private ownership in 2004.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.