History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shelloch, Manse Of Buchanan

A Category B Listed Building in Forth and Endrick, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0831 / 56°4'59"N

Longitude: -4.5147 / 4°30'52"W

OS Eastings: 243613

OS Northings: 690664

OS Grid: NS436906

Mapcode National: GBR 0N.NRQV

Mapcode Global: WH3MZ.MCCF

Plus Code: 9C8Q3FMP+74

Entry Name: Shelloch, Manse Of Buchanan

Listing Name: Shalloch (Formerly Known As Manse of Buchanan) Including Outbuilding and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 5 September 1973

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335299

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4091

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Buchanan

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick

Parish: Buchanan

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Shalloch is a large white harled U-plan house, built in at least 2 distinct phases; the original rectangular-plan house built 1760-1763, and the W and E wings added in the mid-19th century. The house is set back from the road, and fronted by a large flat garden area. To the rear of the house is a long single storey range, formerly providing stabling etc, probably dating to the late 18th century. Shalloch is a multi-phase building, and historical interest as a manse.

The original 1760s 2-storey, 3-bay building forms the central focus of the front (S) elevation of the house; a central pedimented doorpiece is obscured by a large rustic timbered porch, a later 19th century addition; this part of the house also has an eaves course to front and rear. The mid-19th century extensions saw the addition of a gabled bay to the left, which has a 2-bay return to the W elevation, which then drops down to a single storey piend-roofed section with narrow slit openings. Both these sections have broad sparred eaves, which would have been added to the original block to match the roof of the new W wing.

On the E side, an additional service wing with a lower ridge line was also added around the mid-19th century, although the difference in style suggests this was not at the same time as the W addition. The E wing is seen as a recessed gable end to the right of the front elevation; this gable has a double window to ground floor, and 2 round-headed windows to 1st floor, with a corbelled gable-end stack between. The E elevation has a gabled bay to the left. This wing also drops down to a single storey piend-roofed section, which forms the rear access to the house with a timber-panelled door to the N.

The rear (N) elevation has the projecting stair bay of the original house to the centre which is flanked by several small lean-to additions of late 18th and 19th century date.


Several rooms with narrow roll-moulded cornices, some original joinery. Bolection-moulded timber chimneypiece to lounge. Impressive stone dog-leg stair with winders and extended stone newel. In E kitchen wing, secondary stair with timber-lined walls.


Mainly harled; centre section painted rubble to rear; narrow droved margins and strip quoins. 2-leaf timber-panelled storm doors to front elevation. Mostly timber sash and case; 16-pane glazing to original block; 12-pane horizontal glazing to W wing and some rear openings; some non-traditional uPVC windows to E wing, remainder timber sash and case including 10-pane round-headed windows. Pitched roofs (except where stated above); graded slate. Coped ridge stack to W of original block; wallhead stack to W elevation; corbelled-out gable-end stack with triple brick cope to S gable of E wing; wallhead stack to former dairy; mix of octagonal cans. Mainly cast iron rain-water goods.


Situated directly to the rear of the house, a long rectangular range with pitched slate (graded to S) roof which may have been raised slightly in the past. Built of random rubble with roughly squared margins and quoins, the S elevation has 5 door openings, at least 2 of which have been enlarged from their original forms.


At the foot of the W access drive, square-plan rendered gatepiers, each with a decorative painted plaque bearing the name of the house.

Statement of Interest

Shalloch was built as the manse to Buchanan Parish Church (separate listing), which was built at the same time. It superseded the Old Manse (see separate listing) which had been the parish manse when services had been held on Inchcailloch, and later at St Mary's Chapel. The mason who undertook the contract for building the 1760s house at Shalloch was James Mushet of Dunblane, for which he was paid £157. Further payments for additions to the manse are recorded in Buchanan estate cash books of 1842-43 and 1852-53.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.