This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7997 / 55°47'58"N
Longitude: -2.2389 / 2°14'20"W
OS Eastings: 385119
OS Northings: 656290
OS Grid: NT851562
Mapcode National: GBR D1TC.2T
Mapcode Global: WH9Y7.LH17
Entry Name: Chirnside Bridge Paper Mill and Stalk
Listing Date: 23 April 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335355
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4126
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
David Cousin, architect, dated 1842, with dated alterations and additions in 1852, and 1897; later alterations, some demolition and additions. 2- and 3-storey W-E range, sited on land falling to E with tall brick stalk to N. Squared and snecked sandstone with droved ashlar dressings; painted rubble and brick side and rear elevations.
S ELEVATION: bays arranged 9-3-13-3. Window to each storey of each bay. 9-BAY GROUP: irregularly disposed, 3-2-2-2. Near-symmetrical. 2-bay group to centre broadly-spaced coped gable above eaves with kneelers and ashlar finial; clock to gablehead above. Bay to centre and right closely spaced in 3-bay group to left. Modern panelled and partially- glazed door at ground of bay to right of 2-bay group to inner right. 2-bay group to outer right closely-spaced. 3-BAY GROUP: 2-storey. Slightly advanced. Shallow gable with ashlar finial. 2-leaf boarded warehouse door at ground of bay to right. Small window at basement level in bay to right. 13-BAY GROUP: symmetrical group. 3-storey. Slightly advanced 3-bay group to centre; skew gable with kneelers and ashlar finial. Rectangular plaque to gablehead, inscribed: "Y Trotter and Son (limited) paper makers. Built 1842, extended 1852 and 1897" with round emblem above. 5-bay group flanking with blinded window opening at ground of bay to outer left of group to left. Door to ground of bay to centre of group to right; elongated window opening at 1st floor of bay to outer left of group to right. 3-BAY GROUP TO OUTER RIGHT: slightly advanced and gabled, similar to 3-bay group to centre of 13-bay group. Windows blinded at ground and 1st floor of bay to right. Blinded round-arched opening to gablehead with dated (1852) shield above.
N ELEVATION: much altered with many adjacent single storey buildings demolished. Modern unit adjoining to NW.
Variety of windows, mainly 12-pane windows of a variety of type, including timber sash and case, fixed pane, and with 3-pane upper hopper. Slate roof to each section, with strip rooflights to 9 and 13-bay groups. Conical vents in place to ridge.
INTERIOR: partly seen, 1996. Iron girders and supporting columns at ground floor of 13-bay group. Timber king post trussing in roof of 9-bay group. Clock workings still in place by J Gibson, Maker, Berwick.
STALK: circular-section brick stalk, approximately 120 ft high.
The weir is still in place along with the timber and iron mechanised sluices at ladehead. Red sandstone round-arched bridge over lade. Filtering ponds still in use, 1996. According to a photograph of the mill at the turn of the 20th century, the 3-bay group to S elevation formerly had a skew gable with kneelers and an apex stack, in a similar style to the other gables to S elevation. There is seen a square-plan stalk in this photograph, which has since been demolished. The construction which took place from 1842 onwards was carried out by
Y Trotter Co, when the mill was moved from further upstream at Broomhouse Mill. The site is one which had been used as a mill by the Martin family. The opening in 1842 is described at length in the Berwickshire Warder, where the architect, engineer (Mr Bertram), builder (Mr Balsillie), joiner (Mr George Renton), and the plumber
(Mr DA Lamb) were toasted by Mr Trotter. The new mill was highly successful during the 19th century. There was formerly an internal railway in the mill, along with mainline railways. Formerly listed in Chirnside Parish.
Other nearby listed buildings