History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lochard Road, Corrienessan Including Gatepiers and Wingwalls

A Category B Listed Building in Aberfoyle, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1822 / 56°10'56"N

Longitude: -4.4169 / 4°25'0"W

OS Eastings: 250081

OS Northings: 701475

OS Grid: NN500014

Mapcode National: GBR 0S.GHPC

Mapcode Global: WH3MG.3VYZ

Entry Name: Lochard Road, Corrienessan Including Gatepiers and Wingwalls

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335375

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4147

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberfoyle

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Aberfoyle

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Aberfoyle

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Designed by JJ Burnet (Burnet Son and Campbell) Corrienessan is a compact country house built of bullfaced red sandstone with half-timbered gables, mixing Scots Baronial and American Art and Crafts detailing. Roughly rectangular-plan, it has 2 outshot wings to the rear principally containing service quarters. Corrienessan is an example of the work of a well-known Scottish architect of the later 19th century.

The first part of Corrienessan to be seen on the approach from Aberfoyle is the road (N) elevation, to the left of which is a subservient 3 bay harled service wing; separated from this by a massive bullfaced wall-end stack is a tall 2-storey jettied and gabled half-timbered bay, with a single storey veranda to the right. The verandah wraps round to the approach (W) front, running all the way along that elevation, with a lean-to roof incorporating a half-timbered dormer above.

The S entrance elevation, overlooking a steep drop down to the Avondu river below, is more Baronial in detailing; the verandah wraps round from the left, up to a central advanced gabled bay with crowsteps, and a rounded and corbelled-out right arris; at the apex of this bay is a datestone of 1887, ornamented by a carved thistle. To the right is a lower 2-storey 3-bay section, with the entrance door to the left, large 2-leaf timber-boarded doors with ornamentral hinges, in a moulded round-arched opening sheltered by a deep slated lean-to roof supported on timber brackets.

The E elevation is 3-bay, with and advanced bay to the left with a jettied timbered gable, and an advanced piended bay to the right.

Interior:

The mosaic-floored entrance hall gives access to a gun room with original fitted cupboards to the right, and steps to the left lead to the reception hall with timber-panelled walls and classical timber chimneypiece. There are herringbone parquet floors, with geometric borders, and simple plasterwork to all ground floor rooms. The dining room has a large pulvinated timber chimneypiece with an overmantel mirror. To the left of the reception hall is a timber dog-leg stair with straight and barley-sugar twist balusters. Arts and Crafts built-in cupboard to 1st floor corridor. In the service quarters, the pantry retains original fitted cupboards and sink.

Materials:

Mostly coursed bull-faced red sandstone, some harled areas. Mostly timber casement windows with multi-paned sections; timber casements with leaded rectangular quarries to service wings; timber sash and case windows to crowstepped gable. Pitched and piended graded slate roofs; bracketted eaves. Tall bullfaced sandstone wallhead stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods with ornamental hoppers.

Gatepiers and Wingwalls:

To the W of house, square-plan red sandstone gatepiers with curved rubble wing walls, stone thistle finials to gatepiers (one broken).

Statement of Interest

B-group with Corrienessan Coach House.

Corrienessan and Corrienessan Coach House were built for Hugh Kennedy, who was the contractor for the construction of the Buchlyvie to Aberfoyle railway, which opened in 1885. To test the weight carrying capabilities of the tracks, he imported large quantities of red sandstone from his quarry at Ailsa Craig. He used this stone to build some of the station buildings (demolished), Craiguchty Terrace (see separate listing) and then Corrienessan as a house for himself.

Corrienessan was originally called Ardend, as it is situated at the E end of Loch Ard.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.