This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0736 / 56°4'25"N
Longitude: -4.3357 / 4°20'8"W
OS Eastings: 254712
OS Northings: 689214
OS Grid: NS547892
Mapcode National: GBR 0W.P9YB
Mapcode Global: WH3N2.CLMR
Entry Name: Balfron, the Clachan, Clachan House
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335395
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4167
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Later/late 18th century; rear (N) wing added early 20th century; altered and remodelled 1922. 2-storey and attic; 3-bay; rectangular-plan original block with 2-storey rear wing. Canted entrance bay to centre of symmetrical principal elevation; polygonal bay window to W of main block (both probably part of 1920's alterations, together with classical detailing, including corniced doorcase and moulded cornice to principal elevation). Harled exterior with painted ashlar dressings. Base course; eaves course; architraved windows (apart from dormers, bay window and those to canted bay to S). Vertical margins at arrises.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance to canted bay to centre; moulded architrave with frieze and cornice surmounted by panel bearing dates and initials 'J.R.D.1766.1922'; 4-panel timber door. Flanking windows to ground and 1st floors to canted sides (those to 1st floor are smaller) and one above. Flanking windows set back to each floor to main block (those to attic are inserted flat-headed dormers).
W ELEVATION: flat-roofed polygonal bay window to gable end of main block. 1st floor window to left return. Gabled finialled rectangular-plan projecting bay set back to early 20th century wing to left; bipartite window to each floor; narrow window to left return. Entrance to right.
E ELEVATION: ground floor window to right of gable end of original block; 1st floor window to left. Early 20th century wing set back to right; single storey window with 2 windows set forward.
2, 4 and 6-pane timber sash and case windows (12-pane casements to dormers). Grey slate roofs (red ridge tiles to earlier 20th century canted bay). Coped gabled head stacks to either side side of main block and one to rear (N) wing; shouldered coped wallhead stack to N of main block; octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: appears to have been largely refurbished in 1920's, including winding stone staircase with turned timber balusters. Finely panelled sitting room (with polygonal bay window) also of same date.
Remodelled later/late 18th century house occupying prominent site at centre of original village of Balfron (prior to its extension along Buchanan Street in the late 18th century). The bay window the W either dates from the remodelling of 1922 or slightly earlier (a small extension is shown here on the 1918 OS map).
Other nearby listed buildings