This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3551 / 56°21'18"N
Longitude: -4.3725 / 4°22'21"W
OS Eastings: 253500
OS Northings: 720607
OS Grid: NN535206
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.3FPW
Mapcode Global: WH3LP.TJ1H
Plus Code: 9C8Q9J4G+2X
Entry Name: Stronvar Bridge, River Balvag, Balquhidder
Listing Name: Stronvar Bridge over River Balvag
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335415
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4187
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1779-80, possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Long bridge of 3 segmental arches with triangular cutwaters to both elevations and 3 smaller flood arches diminishing in size to N. Waist-height parapet with flat copes. This is an unaltered and unusually long 18th century bridge of considerable architectural and historic interest. It is a notable local landmark.
Materials: random rubble with roughly dressed voussoirs and copes.
This is an important river-crossing, linking the upland areas of the parish around Glen Buckie to the Kirkton of Balquhidder. It also linked Balquhidder to the drove road that went to Glasgow via Glen Buckie and Brig O' Turk. The bridge previous to this one, which was built 1705-6 and cost just over 436 pounds, is described by James Stewart: it had masonry piers and a timber superstructure. By the 1740s it was in a state of disrepair and was replaced with the present bridge in 1780. The bridge was paid for by the Commissioners of Annexed Estates, and several papers relating to its construction are held at the National Archives (see References). The tenants of Balquhidder petitioned the Commissioners for a bridge in February 1779, and by March that year plans had been drawn up (signed by Patrick McInnes, who was presumably employed by the commissioners) and an estimate prepared. By July 1780 building was well under way. The cost of the bridge came to about 215 pounds. The bridge at Strathyre was built at the same time and is similar in design but has only 2 arches.
Other nearby listed buildings