This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.844 / 56°50'38"N
Longitude: -3.1062 / 3°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 332615
OS Northings: 773051
OS Grid: NO326730
Mapcode National: GBR WC.QVZ9
Mapcode Global: WH6ND.872N
Entry Name: Clova, Brandyburn House (Former Manse)
Listing Date: 15 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336092
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4790
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Cortachy and Clova
Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean
Parish: Cortachy And Clova
Traditional County: Angus
Probably 1855 (possibly including earlier fabric) with 1867 additions and alterations. 2-storey, roughly 3 bay former manse with gabled dormers and tripartite windows to S (front) elevation, dominant cat-slide roof to N (road) elevation and piend-roofed wing to W (see Notes). Random rubble with red sandstone dressings. Raised window and door margins.
FURTHER DETAILS: principal elevation to S with off-centre timber panelled front door, window to left of centre and tripartite windows with timber mullions to outer bays; nepus gable to centre of first floor with gabled dormers to outer bays; piend-roofed 1-bay wing slightly recessed to left. Broad catslide roof with 4 modern rooflights to N elevation; piend-roofed outshot with timber-boarded back door to right.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Plain bargeboards. Rendered, coped gablehead stacks with yellow clay cans. Welsh slate roof.
INTERIOR: curved timber staircase with decorative cast-iron baluster. Simple timber chimneypieces with cast-iron grates in most rooms. Timber panelled interior doors throughout.
FORMER STABLE: to N of house, modernised with large porch and windows.
A parish manse of traditional character, relatively little-altered since the end of the 19th century. The steep catslide roof, which is visible from the road, is a particularly striking feature.
Drawings in the National Archives of Scotland shows plans for extending the manse. The original building was single storey, and seems to have included the piend-roofed wings (there use to be another adjoining the E gable, evidence of which is still visible), although they are likely to have been a slightly earlier addition. The additions involved building a 2nd storey, and adding a central corridor and additional rooms to the rear of the cottage. The additions were not carried out in exact accordance with the plans in the NAS: the ground floor alterations were built roughly as planned, but the 1st floor was originally intended to be an attic storey with 2 large dormers in the roof. The original building probably dates from 1855 when the new church was built: this date would be suitable for the tripartite windows on the ground floor, which are shown as existing on the 1867 plan. The previous list description for the manse mentions an 1816 datestone, but this is likely to have been taken from an earlier building. The Ordnance Survey Name Book describes Clova Manse as 'a neat building with gardens attached'.
Other nearby listed buildings