This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3909 / 56°23'27"N
Longitude: -4.1123 / 4°6'44"W
OS Eastings: 269699
OS Northings: 724072
OS Grid: NN696240
Mapcode National: GBR 15.163Y
Mapcode Global: WH4MR.SMYJ
Plus Code: 9C8Q9VRQ+93
Entry Name: Church Of The Holy Spirit, St Fillans
Listing Name: St Fillans, the Old Church, Former Church of the Holy Spirit Including Steps and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 20 March 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 337754
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6227
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Possibly Andrew Heiton Senior or Junior, 1856 with later porch, probably by the same architect. Single storey, rectangular-plan, gothic former Free Church (now converted to a house, 2005) orientated N-S, with gothic porch to S gable, slightly lower former vestry to N gable, gablehead bellcote, and large skewputts. The principal openings have chamfered corners. A boldly-detailed church, raised on a bank and thereby commanding a prominent position on the main road through St Fillans.
Pointed-arch entrance to porch with stripy voussoirs and pilastered, trefoil-headed inset. The porch also has carved detailing and finial to its gable apex, swept skews, lancet windows to its side elevations and diagonal corner buttresses. There are 4 steps up to the porch and a further 2 inside it. There are 2 lancet windows flanking the porch to the S gable and a pointed-arch bellcote to the gable apex. The windows to the E and W elevations are shouldered: there is a double light with central mullion, flanked by single lights to each elevation. The N gable is jerkin-headed and the gabled former vestry is advanced to one side of it.
Interior: access to the interior was not possible during the 2005 survey.
Materials: pink sandstone ashlar with cream sandstone dressings to S (principal) elevation; whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings to sides and rear. 2-leaf timber-boarded front door; 2-leaf glazed timber door to W elevation of vestry. Diamond-pane cast iron windows. Grey slate roof; some Velux windows.
Boundary Walls and Steps: low, ashlar-coped boundary/retaining walls to main road; small pyramidal-capped piers flanking 8 ashlar steps at entrance.
No longer in ecclesiastical use. Built as a Free Church by Peter Drummond of Drumearn. The porch appears to be a later addition, as it cuts across the voussoirs of the pointed-arch surround of the principal entrance. The porch is shown on the 2nd edition OS map (circa 1898), and the 1st edition OS map was only published in a scale that is too small to show whether the porch was there or not. Church records show that improvements were carried out in 1876.
The church was sold to the Episcopal Church in 1936.
Other nearby listed buildings