History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1 Buchan Road, Carfin

A Category B Listed Building in Motherwell North, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8092 / 55°48'33"N

Longitude: -3.9731 / 3°58'23"W

OS Eastings: 276440

OS Northings: 659084

OS Grid: NS764590

Mapcode National: GBR 01P8.MD

Mapcode Global: WH4QQ.Y77Y

Plus Code: 9C7RR25G+MQ

Entry Name: 1 Buchan Road, Carfin

Listing Name: 1 and 2 Buchan Road, Carfin, Timber Bungalows

Listing Date: 3 May 1995

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 338328

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6664

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bothwell

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Motherwell North

Parish: Bothwell

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Holytown

Description

Red Cedar Supply Company, Glasgow, for the SSHA, 1938. Semi-detached pair of Canadian timber Commissioners houses. 3-bay, rectangular-plan houses. Horizontal log cabin boarding to cill height; shingles above and to gabled porches.

ENTRANCE ELEVATION: bipartite windows at centre; gabled porches on timber posts to penultimate bays; single windows in outer bays.

Part-glazed inner vestibule doors. Timber windows. Concrete tiles.

Harled brick stacks to outer pitches.

Statement of Interest

The Carfin houses were among the first timber houses built by the SSHA

between 1937 and 1941. It appears that an experiment by them to designs by Basil Spence (see Begg, p65) for 2-storey houses was carried out at Forth, and paralleled almost simultaneously by the erection of the more picturesque Carfin bungalows. Further surviving examples of Canadian timber Commissioners houses can be found in Fordyce, 1-4 St Tarquin's Place, single storey and attic in form, listed separately. The houses at Carfin were erected at short notice to coincide with a royal visit to open the Empire Exhibition at Bellahouston Park, and were inspected by King George and Queen Elizabeth in May 1938. They are sited in one of the Special Areas identified at this time for such accelerated housing development serving an industrial estate.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.