This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7444 / 55°44'39"N
Longitude: -2.1206 / 2°7'14"W
OS Eastings: 392526
OS Northings: 650115
OS Grid: NT925501
Mapcode National: GBR F2M0.PN
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.DWF5
Plus Code: 9C7VPVVH+PQ
Entry Name: Mortuary Chapel, Old Parish Church, Fishwick
Listing Name: Fishwick Mortuary Chapel Including Graveyard and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338533
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6822
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward/Division: Norham and Islandshires
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Circa 1835. Remains of rectangular-plan, plain gothic former mortuary chapel with surrounding graveyard on level site within 4-sided, near rectangular-plan bluff. Coursed pink sandstone (tooled in part); sandstone ashlar dressings. Gabletted, buttressed angles; gabletted buttresses to sides.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled with pointed-arched entrance centred at ground; studded and boarded timber door (off hinges); architraved surround with engaged colonnettes. Rose window aligned above; gabled belfry at gablehead (bell missing).
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabletted buttresses dividing 3 blind bays.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled with 3-light perpendicular window at centre; columnar mullions; architraved surround with engaged colonnettes.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabletted buttresses dividing 3 blind bays.
Glazing missing. Roof timbers in place; stone slates missing (recorded on ground 1995).
INTERIOR: remains of stone slab floor. Coursed sandstone walls. Remains of barrel-vaulted roof comprising timber rafters; round-arched timber collar brace with nailhead chiselled carvings; corbelled sandstone springers.
GRAVEYARD: set on level ground surrounding chapel with various gravestones including recumbent stones, stones with memento mori, table-top monuments.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble wall enclosing site.
Overgrown and no longer in use 1999. Just to the W of the River Tweed, this former mortuary chapel and graveyard are all that remain of the mediaeval village of Fishwick - originally a separate parish before unification with Hutton in 1610. The chapel was commissioned by Mr James MacBriare, proprietor of Fishwick, to replace the 12th century Fishwick Church which had stood on the same site and was demolished circa 1835. The chapel was last used in 1914 on the death of Mrs Anna MacBriare. According to Craw, the graveyard contains 8 sculptured gravestones, whilst Cargill notes 44 stones in total - the oldest being a table-top monument dated 1614.
Other nearby listed buildings