This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.8938 / 57°53'37"N
Longitude: -4.3712 / 4°22'16"W
OS Eastings: 259539
OS Northings: 891842
OS Grid: NH595918
Mapcode National: GBR H7LV.SJX
Mapcode Global: WH3C4.TVPD
Plus Code: 9C9QVJVH+GG
Entry Name: Invercharron House
Listing Name: Invercharron House, Gates and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 18 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338987
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7174
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Kincardine (Highland)
Electoral Ward: North, West and Central Sutherland
Parish: Kincardine (Highland)
Original 18th century house, now much altered and
incorporated into later extensive additions. Mainly harled
with ashlar margins; some rubble walling with tooled
dressings. Early 18th century dwelling house, rectangular
with gable ends containing chimneys and 2 storeys with cellar
beneath part, now constitutes western wing; an early
eastward extension which was originally built as byres
was altered later in the 18th century to form a south
facing 5-bay front. The later addition of a south entrance
tower was partially removed in 1935 and completely in 1962
when a concrete balcony, with plain iron railings, was added
in the middle.
2-storey east wing (with attic storey over part) with east
facing bow added circa 1800 to provide rooms of grander
proportions indicated by 1st floor window heights; this wing
modified with balancing bowed wing, probably in late 1860s but
possibly as late as 1882, (Alexander Ross, architect,
Inverness) when rear additions made.
Irregular fenestration in south facade; the middle 1st
floor window rises through wallhead under heavily crow-
stepped gablet of 1935 designed to balance the 2 first
windows on either side and of older date, those gablets were
simplified in 1935 from ornate designs of 1882 or earlier.
Re-used early 19th century double leaf panelled door in south
entrance. Very irregular north entrance front with 2
entrances. Corniced end and ridge stacks; crowsteps; slate
roof. Gates and gate piers; pair later 19th century circular
ashlar gate piers with conical caps and pair decorative
cast-iron carriage gates; flanking low coped retaining walls
with matching cast-iron railings.
Re-use marriage stone dated 1732 in one south front lintel.
Invercharron "a gentleman's house" in 1840, when occupied by
a sheep farmer. Home of the Ross's of Invercharron; acquired
in late 1860s by Mr W Littlejohn, and subsequently to Mr E Willis-Fleming who made internal alterations, as did present
Other nearby listed buildings