This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9295 / 55°55'46"N
Longitude: -2.6567 / 2°39'24"W
OS Eastings: 359066
OS Northings: 670908
OS Grid: NT590709
Mapcode National: GBR 2X.ZH2H
Mapcode Global: WH8WB.5756
Plus Code: 9C7VW8HV+Q8
Entry Name: Garvald And Bara Parish Church And Churchyard, Garvald
Listing Name: Garvald Parish Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 339199
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7341
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Garvald and Bara
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Parish: Garvald And Bara
Traditional County: East Lothian
1829 re-working and extension of earlier church,
incorporating N aisle of 1677; partial remains of diamond
patterned band course of 12th century, running on W and N
elevations with large squared masonry. Squared and coursed
rubble with base course to 1829 work; snecked rubble to
vestry chancel with harled E gable.
W GABLE: piend roofed porch at centre with window, and
studded timber door in doorway on S return; wrought-iron
jougs set to right of porchway; segmentally arched window in
gable head with blocked former window below to left; gabled
bellcote with arched opening at apex.
S ELEVATION: 4 hoodmoulded, pointed arch windows with
small-pane and intersecting glazing pattern to sash and case
form; remaining ironwork brackets of former shutters
flanking. Square sundial in white stone, inscribed 'GEORGE FA
FECIT ANNO 1633'.
N AISLE: 1677; gabled projection at centre with 12-pane
window in upper part, and at ground to E and W with 6-pane
windows below eaves; blocked window on nave to W.
VESTRY: gabled projection from main E gable with stone
mullioned bipartite, louvred lights; 2 doorways on S return,
with window above left door.
Ashlar coped skews and slate roofs.
INTERIOR: regretfully stripped and redecorated in recent
years, leaving inappropriately pointed rubble walls and given
a light coloured timber coomb ceiling; oak altar of 1912 and
modern pine seating and pulpit. Door into vestry through
curtain reredos; modern stained glass window in gable above.
GRAVEYARD: Walls and gateway: rubble walls and decorative
cast-iron piers to arrowhead gates.
MAUSOLEA: 2 simple curtain wall ashlar family mausolea to E
of graveyard, in grey and red stone.
Gravestones: some fine gravestones of early dates, with
classical details and memento mori.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was
originally linked to the Nunnery at Haddington. Spott Church
similarly retained the jougs hung by the entrance door.
Other nearby listed buildings