This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9578 / 55°57'27"N
Longitude: -2.4484 / 2°26'54"W
OS Eastings: 372101
OS Northings: 673950
OS Grid: NT721739
Mapcode National: GBR ND9Z.52S
Mapcode Global: WH8W7.CJB2
Entry Name: Innerwick, Mansewood (Former Manse) with Stables, and Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 17 May 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 339684
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7717
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton
Traditional County: East Lothian
1726, considerably altered and extended in late 18th century
and doubled in depth by 1830 addition to N. Rectangular
plan house on falling ground now double pile, 3 storeys
to S earlier block and 2 to 1830 work. Rendered rubble
with chamfered arrises to earlier openings and painted
ashlar to 1820 openings.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 1830 5-bay. Slightly advanced
centre bay with pilastered doorpiece; panelled door and
semi-circular, fanlight; steps to doorway oversailing
basement area with decorative cast-iron railings. Tall
raised ground floor windows in flanking bays, and less tall
to each bay of basement. Blocking course and cornice across
N elevation. Blank side elevations with wallhead stacks.
S ELEVATION: 4 widely spaced bays with windows to each floor,
smaller at centre bays; barred openings to cellar area.
Additions at left. Canted 5-light timber oriel added to E
gable, with 2 irregular windows above under eaves. 2
windows to left of W elevation, above flat-roofed porch
set in basement recess. 2 harled ridge stacks.
Sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing to 1830's
windows and plate glass elsewhere. Original cans retained.
Piend roofs to each parallel block, slightly lower eaves
to later block; grey slates and lead flashings.
INTERIOR: winding stone stair with cast-iron balusters
and flagged basement. Tripartite vestibule screen. Panelled
STABLES: Circa 1830. L-plan 2-storey stable group, SW of
the house. Random rubble with droved ashlar dressings.
COURTYARD: 3-bay S range with segmental carriageway at
left and doorway at centre with hayloft openings above;
ground floor window by angle. 1st floor window to left
of N range. Lean-to stone outbuilding by drum piers linked
by parapet wall to re-entrant angle of courtyard.
Advanced, single storey addition to S of S wing with narrow
doorway. Boarded doors with small-pane fanlights.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rubble walls with semi-
circular coping, highest to garden at S. 3 pairs of drum
gatepiers, those by NW gate in diminutive form.
Mansewood served as the manse from 19th century until
recently, and may have been built as such. The 1830
frontage was typical of the style Loudon would later
suggest in COTTAGE, VILLA AND FARM ARCHITECTURE
Other nearby listed buildings