This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4339 / 56°26'1"N
Longitude: -4.4153 / 4°24'55"W
OS Eastings: 251165
OS Northings: 729469
OS Grid: NN511294
Mapcode National: GBR HCGQ.48P
Mapcode Global: WH3L9.4KQ2
Plus Code: 9C8QCHMM+GV
Entry Name: Auchlyne
Listing Name: Auchlyne, Auchlyne House
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340363
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8264
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Constructed circa 1760, Auchlyne is a harled 3-storey and attic 3-bay classical house with bowed projections to the North, West and East and additional wings forming a loose courtyard plan. It is an imposing house which is a distinctive feature in the landscape and was a former property of the local landowner, the Earl of Breadalbane. It displays a strong architectural character typical of its date and is one of the larger houses in the parish.
The (South) principal elevation is near-symmetrical and the centre projecting pedimented bay has an armorial panel of Campbell of Achallader in the apex. There is a 20th century piended timber porch at the ground floor. The ground and first floor windows of the left bay have been altered, probably some time in the mid to late 19th century to large bipartite windows and are distinguished by their increased size and plate glass glazing. There are a pair of piended dormers at the attic floor and a pair of ridge stacks. Auchlyne has a piended roof. To the left is a later flat-roofed single storey addition.
The rear (North) elevation has a central bowed stair tower, entrance is to the left through a modern lean-to porch addition. To the left is a projecting 2-bay 2-storey and attic wing with a gable stack (rebuilt in 1909 following a fire). To the right is a long projecting single storey and attic wing (partly a former stable) which terminates in a 3-bay house with gabled wallhead dormers. Set partway along at right angles facing away from the courtyard is a 3-bay wing with a pair of cart arches.
The courtyard is completed by a final whitewashed rubble single storey and attic range lying parallel to the house which is partly set into the ground and can be accessed at the upper floor from the rear. There is a gable stack to the lower part of this range and it contained the laundry ' the boiler is still extant. To the right is a higher building set at right angles, possibly a former hayloft.
Simple traditional interior which retains much of its architectural character. It is likely that the interior was modernised when the plate glass windows were introduced in the dining and drawing rooms. Good joinerywork, 6-panel timber doors. Decorative dentilled cornice to the drawing room which formerly had trompe l'oeil painted classical wall paintings, now painted over.
Harled, some of it white-painted to the rear courtyard wings. Predominantly timber sash and case windows, 6-pane over 6-pane, some with horns. Non-traditional replacement tilt and turn windows to the house at the termination of the rear right wing. Slate roofs.
Part of a B-group with Auchlyne House Walled Garden, Auchlyne Chapel, Auchlyne Farm Granary.
There has been an estate at Auchlyne for a considerable length of time, the present house replaced the former estate house which is thought to have been sited a short distance to the North-West. It was bought by the present owner in the 1930s from the Breadalbane Estate after many years of renting. The Campbell clan became the dominant clan in the area from the 15th century onwards and the Breadalbane Estate was second only to Inveraray in their land holdings.