This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.2118 / 56°12'42"N
Longitude: -3.0486 / 3°2'54"W
OS Eastings: 335058
OS Northings: 702631
OS Grid: NO350026
Mapcode National: GBR 2F.DR19
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.44K8
Entry Name: Kennoway Village, Cupar Road, St Kenneth's (Church of Scotland) Parish Church
Listing Date: 27 June 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342407
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10013
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Thomas Hamilton, 1850; Wallace Hall 1900. Romanesque Revival church with narrow tower and broach spire, 5-bay nave and flat-roofed side aisles. Snecked whinstone rubble with contrasting dressed ashlar quoins (some replaced). Coped, squared rubble plinth, dividing course and mutuled cornice. Single and 2-stage sawtooth-coped buttresses. Round-headed openings with deeply chamfered reveals; hoodmoulds and label stops.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled centre bay with steps up to concave-moulded, doorcase with hoodmould and 2-leaf boarded timber door with decorative ironwork hinges, hoodmoulded 2-light Venetian-traceried window at 2nd stage, and small stone Celtic cross at gablehead. Tower (see below) immediately to left of centre, and narrow blank bay beyond with single stage buttress to outer left; 2-stage buttress to right of centre with blank bay and single stage buttress beyond.
SW TOWER: slightly advanced 4-stage tower with narrow light to 1st stage, similar window above, and black clock face with Roman numerals high up to SW and NW elevations of 3rd stage; belfry to 4th stage with louvered bipartite openings to SW and NE, and single openings to NW and SE. Cornice above giving way to spire with moulded finial and cast-iron weathervane.
SE (CUPAR ROAD) ELEVATION: nave with bays of 1st stage divided by single stage buttresses. Steps up to deep-set timber door to right of centre, 2 small windows to left and further window to outer right, deep-set glazed oculus to outer left. 2nd stage with 3 windows grouped toward centre.
NW ELEVATION: mirrors SE elevation.
NE (WALLACE HALL) ELEVATION: gabled centre bay with traceried window to 2nd stage, and '1619' datestone (see Notes) in gablehead. Steeply-pitched, piended, rectangular-plan Wallace Hall projecting from 1st stage; door in lower link to SE.
Leaded diamond-pattern glazing with coloured margins; stained glass (see below). Slates. Ashlar-coped skews. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: galleried interior with tall round-headed arcades on quatrefoil section cast-iron columns; open-beamed timber-clad roof. Fixed timber box pews to galleries with boarded timber fronts. Octagonal cantilevered pulpit with winding stair and decorative ironwork balusters; carved Communion Table and elders chairs; boarded timber dadoes. Stained glass to E and W aisles (1st stage) by Marjorie Kemp, circa 1950, depicting New Testament scenes. Classical memorials to 3 former ministers in narthex.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The '1619' datestone belonged to the former Parish Church, demolished in 1849. A bell inscribed 'I am for the Kirk of Kennochy', also from the 1619 building, is reported in the CENTENARY booklet as being 'somewhere in England'. The Wallace Hall, now in use as vestry and office, was gifted to the church by the Misses Wallace of Newton Hall 'in loving memory of their dear uncle, C J Wallace Esq of Newton Hall' (Centenary Booklet). A 1950 photograph of the church interior shows plain fixed timber pews and stencilled bands above dadoes. The War Memorial is listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings