This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7129 / 54°42'46"N
Longitude: -4.4529 / 4°27'10"W
OS Eastings: 242080
OS Northings: 538087
OS Grid: NX420380
Mapcode National: GBR HJC7.YWQ
Mapcode Global: WH3VL.KSSV
Plus Code: 9C6QPG7W+5R
Entry Name: Session House, Glasserton Parish Church And Churchyard
Listing Name: Glasserton Parish Church Church of Scotland Session House Churchyard Mausolea and Monuments
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342549
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10137
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Tagged with: Session house
17th century origin, largely rebuilt 1732 as rectangular box, N aisle and tower added 1836 by John Buonarotti Papworth. 17th century bellcote removed form Kirkmaiden Church (Glasserton Parish) to Glasserton in early 19th century. 1732 rectangular church on E-W axis with iasle and tower to N, 1836 giving T-plan. Original part shows signs of much rebuilding and alteration. Rubble walling, polished sandstone margins, later work has uniform red sandstone margins with bold tails.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical 4-window front with round-arched windows. Smaller windows to outer bays with 2 large (almost full-height) windows to inner bays, some sash and case all with small-pane glazing. Jambs mainly polished cream sandstone with segmental stones forming arch-heads, possibly later 18th century enlargements. To centre, large blocked round-arched opening original access to pulpit. At upper level flanking outer windows are blocked square headed openings, presumably earlier windows lighting galleries. A worn partly inscribed red sandstone block is re-used as prt of margin to westernmost window. E and W gables have 2 large round arched openings, that to E ground is glazed door. Single bay N aisle with round-arched openings, narrow rubble voussoirs. Sash and case windows with small-pane glazing. Bolection moulded eaves cornice, end skews with skewputts, good graded slate roofs. To W gable small 17th century stone bellcote, weathered date of 1680, originally from Kirkmaiden Church (see separate item). Square section with 4 colonettes at angles and cushion capitals supporting moulded cornice, ogival canopy and ball finial to E gable.
TOWER: dated 1836. Buttressed tower in 3 stages. Rubble with polished red sandstone margins, pointed-arch moulded doorway, 2nd stage with single blind, wide lancets, dwarf lancets to 3rd (blocked in brick). Embattled parapet; to angles, pinnacles rise from buttress set-offs below eaves level to tall crocketted finials.
INTERIOR: galleried to 3 sides with pulpit to centre of S wall.
SESSION HOUSE: single storey, L-plan building at church gate, comprised of wings of 2 dates. Whinstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Early 19th century wing (1-room) with door set in advanced bay, window on return elevation and to rear. Mid 19th century 2-room addition at right angles with door and window to each room, and now partly roofless. 1 window with diamond-pane glazing pattern. Grey graduated slates to both roofs, those to earlier wing large local slate, overhanging eaves. Coped end and 1 brick mutual gable stack.
CHURCHYARD: rubble walled churchyard containing many good 18th and 19th century gravestones. 2 large free-standing mausolea to SE of church and abutting it a rectangular burial site, circa 1595, now roofless, gables to N and S, built into N wall of which is mural monument to Lady Garlies dated 159?. Detached to the E is a classical mid 18th century rectangular-plan roofless enclosure, rubble with rusticated red sandstone quoins. To the N wall round-arched doorway with iron gate. Blind moulded panel over door. Eaves band, good cornice, ball finials at angles. Good pilastered aedicular mural monument to W exterior wall.
The Session House is currently in a poor condition. Repairs in progress to pointing and window replacements, 1993.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings