History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grove, House and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Castle Douglas and Crocketford, Dumfries and Galloway

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0847 / 55°5'4"N

Longitude: -3.6963 / 3°41'46"W

OS Eastings: 291817

OS Northings: 578004

OS Grid: NX918780

Mapcode National: GBR 29MN.K3

Mapcode Global: WH5WH.6G3D

Entry Name: The Grove, House and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 26 June 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342796

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10359

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkpatrick Irongray

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford

Parish: Kirkpatrick Irongray

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Holywood

Description

Thomas Rickman of Birmingham, architect, 1825 incorporating
18th century house: additions by Peddie and Kinnear 1869
(dated on rainwater heads). 2-storey mansion house, Tudor
Gothic, basement to north, single storey service range to
northwest and inner courtyard open at west. All red ashlar.
Some windows canted, mullioned, and/or transomed,
particularly on additions: 1825 windows mostly in shallow-
recessed panels. South elevation: 2-stage massive square
entrance tower with corbelled and crenellated parapet, hood-
moulded, pointed doorway with ornamented spandrels blind
panel above, cusped-headed sidelights in ogival margins; 3
tall lights above in round-arched margins, also with cusped
heads. 2 symmetrical bays with ground floor cross-windows
flank tower; advanced gable left, former conservatory beyond
has ashlar mullions and transomes, ball-finialed parapet
with cusped openings; roof now flat. Other elevations
asymmetrical, with advanced/recessed bays, some gabled: some
windows in projecting bays: segmental-headed west-facing
door below modern fire escape. Shaped skews. Stacks mostly
grouped octagonal flues: roofed with graded slates. Square
inner and outer gatepiers polished white granite with
projecting caps, quadrant walls bullfaced red ashlar with
crenellated coping.

Statement of Interest

Built for Wellwood Maxwell. Used until 1982 as a hospital.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.