History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alexander III Monument, Kinghorn Road, Kingswoodend

A Category B Listed Building in Kinghorn, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0643 / 56°3'51"N

Longitude: -3.1999 / 3°11'59"W

OS Eastings: 325388

OS Northings: 686368

OS Grid: NT253863

Mapcode National: GBR 28.PT8M

Mapcode Global: WH6S0.TTFW

Plus Code: 9C8R3R72+P2

Entry Name: Alexander III Monument, Kinghorn Road, Kingswoodend

Listing Name: Kinghorn Road, Alexander III Monument

Listing Date: 10 September 1979

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 346828

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13639

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kinghorn

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Parish: Kinghorn

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Monument

Find accommodation in


Hippolyte J Blanc, 1886; John Rhind, sculptor. 3-stage, 28' high, cross-finialled, shafted memorial of red Peterhead granite set on natural bedrock and surmounted by bronze Celtic Cross. 2-tier base below pedestal with moulded panel to N face worded:


Battered coping giving way to reduced 2nd stage with bronze figured sculpture to N, topped with small recessed panel to each face bearing heraldic shields as follows:

W face with Arms of Scotland and of Comte de Dreux; E face with Lion Rampant of Scotland and 3 Lions of England; S face with Scottish National Emblem of St Andrew on Cross; N face with Arms of Scotland.

Square-plan shaft above with engaged colonnettes to angles, each face trefoil-headed and corniced; moulded gablet cope with carved tympanum supporting foliate cross.

Statement of Interest

Alexander III met his death on or near the spot which tradition has attached to the Black Stone upon which this monument is erected. Various versions of his death abound but seem to agree that it resulted from a fall from his horse on a stormy night. Previously a stone cross marked the site but this was ruinous by the 19th century and Professor Bruce, owner of Kingswood lands, proposed a replacement as early as the 1840s. Interest was renewed by 1885 when donations were received from Queen Victoria (?15) and the Burntisland Oil Company (?10), the total cost being ?330. The memorial was unveiled on 19th July 1887, by the Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, Lord Lieutenant of Fife. Inside the pedestal is a jar containing items representative of the late Victorian period, including issues of various newspapers and coins. Stone was obtained from the Pentland and Solway Firths, most northerly and southerly limits of Alexander's kingdom, and from Dunfermline where he is buried. Up-graded C(S) to B 31.3.95.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.