This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7963 / 55°47'46"N
Longitude: -2.0794 / 2°4'45"W
OS Eastings: 395118
OS Northings: 655887
OS Grid: NT951558
Mapcode National: GBR F1XF.L1
Mapcode Global: WH9YB.1K2W
Plus Code: 9C7VQWWC+G6
Entry Name: Mordington, Burial Vault Including Graveyard and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 24 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 347068
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13851
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Mid 17th century in origin. Oval-plan, raised plantation to S of Mordington House with remains of single storey, rectangular-plan burial vault originally set against E gable of parish church (destroyed 1757).
BURIAL VAULT: coursed cream sandstone ashlar; ashlar dressings. E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gable end with square-headed entrance at centre; moulded surround. Remains of stone originally embossed 'W.M. 1662' aligned above. W (REAR) ELEVATION: gable end obscured. INTERIOR: barrel-vaulted. Coursed sandstone walls and ceiling; earth floor. Rectangular-plan relief panel centred in W wall with rudely sculptured depiction of the Crucifixion, inscribed 'IHUS MARIA'.
GRAVEYARD: oval-plan graveyard surrounding vault with various 17th and 18th century stones including recumbent stones, stones with memento mori, table-top monuments.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble wall enclosing raised site.
Noted in the OS Name Book as 'once an ancient burial vault of the Mordington family - but now used as a refuse house.' Originally the site of Mordington Parish Church - itself destroyed in 1757 and replaced by a later church to the SW (see separate list entry for 'Mordington, Old Graveyard'). The INVENTORY notes there being a stone embossed 'A.M.' which originally formed the apex of the vault's E gable - not visible/seen 1999. 'A.M.' is thought to stand for Anne, 1st Lady Mordington who died around 1642, the probable date of the vault's construction. A stone still in place below was originally embossed 'W.M. 1662'. 'W.M.' is thought to stand for William, 2nd Lord Mordington - 1662 being the date his son inherited Nether Mordington. The vault is recorded as having an internal measurement of 19ft2" by 12ft (RCAHMS). The relief panel, depicting Christ flanked by the Virgin and St John, is 23" by 15". The INVENTORY suggests this panel derives from the late 15th to early 16th century. According to the OS Name Book, the earliest gravestone in the surrounding graveyard is dated '1609' and the latest, '1762'. Vault and graveyard obscured by overgrowth 1999. Mordington Burial Vault was Scheduled in 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings