History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Piers And Gates, Old Parish Church, Mordington

A Category C Listed Building in East Berwickshire, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7914 / 55°47'29"N

Longitude: -2.0902 / 2°5'24"W

OS Eastings: 394440

OS Northings: 655350

OS Grid: NT944553

Mapcode National: GBR F1VG.8S

Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.VPVL

Plus Code: 9C7VQWR5+HW

Entry Name: Gate Piers And Gates, Old Parish Church, Mordington

Listing Name: Mordington, Old Graveyard Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gate and Style

Listing Date: 24 January 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 351330

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17415

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Mordington

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire

Parish: Mordington

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Mordington

Description

1757 in origin. Near rectangular-plan graveyard fronting road with curved corner to SE. Church originally set within demolished 1867.

GRAVEYARD: rubble-coped, rubble walls enclosing site to N, S and W; wall missing to E; wall mutual with adjoining property (former manse) to W in part. Predominantly 18th and 19th century gravestones including table-top monuments, single obelisk, classically-detailed stones, circular-plan column on tapering shaft.

GATEPIERS AND GATE: square-plan, pyramidal-capped, pink sandstone gatepiers flanking entrance to S; single wrought iron gate.

STYLE: weathered, stepped cream sandstone style adjoining outer elevation of curved corner to SE.

Statement of Interest

Prominently sited on the main road between Duns and Berwick. Originally associated with Mordington Parish Church - itself erected in 1757 to replace an earlier church to the S of Mordington House. The ruins of a burial vault are all that remain of this earlier church - see separate list entry for 'Mordington, Burial Vault'. The 1st OS map shows the second church as having stood in the centre of this graveyard. Demolished in 1867, it was replaced by another church to the NE - itself demolished in 1989. The former manse once associated with the graveyard is set immediately to its W - its single storey ancillary structure forming the graveyard's NW boundary.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.