This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.154 / 56°9'14"N
Longitude: -4.3613 / 4°21'40"W
OS Eastings: 253425
OS Northings: 698213
OS Grid: NS534982
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.JB5W
Mapcode Global: WH3MN.ZLB3
Plus Code: 9C8Q5J3Q+JF
Entry Name: Farmhouse, Gartartan Home Farm
Listing Name: Gartmore House,gartartan House (Formerly Gartartan Home Farm Farmhouse)
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 347094
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13873
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Mid 19th century (circa 1840 according to the previous list description) 2-storey asymmetrical farmhouse with later additions. Built as the Home Farm of the Gartmore Estate, Gartartan House is located to the NE of Gartmore House (see separate listing). It is situated on a sloping site, on lower ground to the S of Gartartan Home Farm Steading (see separate listing) and the upper floor of the N gable of the farmhouse is level with the forecourt of the farmyard. The farmhouse and steading were probably built at the same time, as they share similar architectural details, such as rusticated hoodmoulds to windows. The farmhouse and steading contribute to the architectural character of the Gartmore estate, as a good example of a solidly built 19th century home farm built to serve a large estate.
Asymmetrical W elevation of a large, slightly advanced gabled block to right, and a 3-bay section to left with evenly disposed windows at ground floor; 2 windows to 1st floor breaking eaves. The complex S elevation comprises, to left, a 2-bay block and a prominent advanced gable to centre with canted bay window to ground floor; a later porch sits in the re-entrant angle of the block and gable. Adjoining to the right there is a long single storey range, originally a byre, it is now the entrance hall and kitchen. In the re-entrant angle of the centre gable and the single storey range is a piend roofed extension that accommodates a study. According to the present owners, this was originally used as an office by the factor. Variety of openings. To rear, single storey former dairy (now bathroom) with piended roof and large 20th century gabled addition, which houses the modern staircase.
Areas of render and inserted windows below the eaves of the 2-storey section of the house suggest that the roof has been raised. This is confirmed by the present owners (2004), who state that the old roof timbers are still visible in the loft.
The farmhouse has been comprehensively modernised internally and the layout has been altered. Some timber working shutters.
Modern timber glazed doors. Predominantly timber sash and case windows, some with lying panes, others with multipanes to upper sashes and plate glass below. Squared and snecked rubble; some render to rear elevation. Rusticated hoodmoulds to windows in 2-storey section. Slated pitched roofs; piended roofs to kitchen, study, porch and former dairy. Rendered corniced stacks with decorative clay cans. Painted timber bargeboards and boxed eaves.
Gartartan House is part of a B-Group together with Gartartan Home Farm Steading.
The farm appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1859-64) as Gartartan. According to Ordnance Survey Namebook (1898), it was the property of Robert C. C. Graham and 'in occupation of the factor, Mr Charles Brown'. It was part of the Gartmore Estate until it was broken up in the mid 20th century. The farm house is now known as Gartartan House, to distinguish it from the steading, which is in separate ownership (2004).
Other nearby listed buildings