This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1548 / 56°9'17"N
Longitude: -4.3636 / 4°21'48"W
OS Eastings: 253286
OS Northings: 698305
OS Grid: NS532983
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.J9NZ
Mapcode Global: WH3MN.YK8J
Plus Code: 9C8Q5J3P+WH
Entry Name: Gartartan Lodge, Gartmore House
Listing Name: Gartmore House, Gartartan Lodge Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354113
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19707
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1902 David Barclay, architect. 2-storey, roughcast Baronial lodge with prominent circular tower to corner. Smaller circular tower to other side of driveway with gatepiers and wrought-iron gates. The Lodge is prominently located at the NE entrance to the Gartmore House estate, on high ground beside a small lay-by to the W of the main road (A81). It was built as the formal entrance to the estate at the same time as Barclay remodelled Gartmore House (see separate list description) for the Cayzer family. Of importance in the early 20th century development of the Gartmore estate and a good example of the work of the architect David Barclay.
Principal (SE) elevation is composed of 3 bays, consisting of prominent 2-stage circular tower to right and rectangular tower to left. Between these is the architraved entrance with 6-light fanlight and pedimented single window above. Both towers are crenellated, while the circular tower is also machicolated. Slightly battered base course, cill courses to ground floor and 1st floors (1st floor cill course partially obscured by vegetation).
2-bay side (NE) elevation with circular tower to left, highly detailed 2-storey bay window to right. To ground floor, tripartite boxed bay window with stone columns and corniced surround, blank shield motif above, and crenellations. To 1st floor, 3-light, canted bay with decorative pediment above. Bartizan to N corner with quoin strip below.
Blank rear (NW) elevation with false arrow slit in crowstepped gable, skewputt and quoin strips.
Smaller, single stage circular gate tower to S, on the other side of the drive. Small windows to NE and SW elevations, small door to SE. Slightly battered base course, cill course, crenellations.
A fine curved timber stair with timber balusters and curved mahogany handrail is located in the square tower to the left of the entrance. Octagonal sitting room to circular tower with bedroom above. Timber panelled interior doors, cornicing to principal rooms and timber floorboards throughout.
Roughcast with roll-moulded ashlar dressings to openings. Timber boarded front door. Timber sash and case windows with horns, multi-pane to upper sashes and plate glass below. Slate roofs to main section of Lodge (pitched) and rectangular tower (pyramid), flat copper roof to circular tower. Rendered coped gablehead stack with decorative clay cans. Some cast-iron rainwater goods.
Gatepiers, Gates and Boundary Walls
Substantial corniced ashlar gatepiers are attached to the Lodge and smaller gate tower, with a pair of ornate wrought-iron gates. Squared and snecked rubble boundary walls flank Lodge and gate tower to N and S. A long retaining wall also encloses the small patch of ground that lies to the E of the Lodge, which forms a barrier between the Lodge and the main road.
Previously listed at category C(S).
Gartartan Lodge is part of a B-Group together with Gartmore House, the Walled Garden, Burial Enclosure and Village Gate.
David Barclay (1846-1917) was a Glasgow-based architect, who with his older brother, Hugh Barclay operated as H & D Barclay, principally a school-building practice. Barclay was employed by Sir Charles Cayzer to work on Gartmore House and Gartmore Church (see separate list descriptions) as well as build the Lodge after he purchased the Gartmore Estate in 1900. The Lodge is now in separate ownership from Gartmore House (2004).
Other nearby listed buildings