This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1469 / 56°8'48"N
Longitude: -4.3778 / 4°22'40"W
OS Eastings: 252374
OS Northings: 697455
OS Grid: NS523974
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.JLH0
Mapcode Global: WH3MN.QRJL
Plus Code: 9C8Q4JWC+QV
Entry Name: Village Gateway, Gartmore House
Listing Name: Gartmore House, Gartmore Village Gate
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 348586
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15065
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1790, architect unknown. Axially situated at the NE end of the Main Street of Gartmore, Gartmore Village Gate provides access to the Gartmore estate. It is composed of a central semi-circular arch flanked by trefoil piers with a crenellated parapet. Flanked by slim towers with quatrefoil pier angles, trefoil headed side gates with quatrefoils above. The curved side screen walls terminate in quatrefoil piers. Constructed of painted roughcast with ashlar dressings. The flanking towers still retain their gothic wrought iron gates, but the central arch has lost its gates (shown in an early old postcard).
A good surviving example of a relatively unaltered estate gate. It dates from the later 18th century, the period when the Graham family of Gartmore carried out a series of improvements to their house and grounds, and laid out the planned estate village of Gartmore.
B-Group together with Gartmore House, the Walled Garden, Burial Enclosure and Gartartan Lodge.
Early 20th century postcards show that a single storey Gothic lodge, with piended roof, crenellated parapet and pointed openings, was once attached to the Gate on the NW side. This lodge is shown on both the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1859-64 and 1898-1900 respectively. Now demolished, it was used to accommodate the Free Church congregation of Gartmore before they built their own church in 1847.
The Village Gate is currently in a poor state of repair (2004).
Other nearby listed buildings