History in Structure

Stenton Old Parish Church

A Category B Listed Building in Stenton, East Lothian

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.96 / 55°57'36"N

Longitude: -2.6076 / 2°36'27"W

OS Eastings: 362161

OS Northings: 674280

OS Grid: NT621742

Mapcode National: GBR 2Z.XG3Z

Mapcode Global: WH8W4.XGF9

Plus Code: 9C7VX96R+2W

Entry Name: Stenton Old Parish Church

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 348236

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14781

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Stenton,old parish church

ID on this website: 200348236

Location: Stenton

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton

Parish: Stenton

Traditional County: East Lothian

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


Later 16th century tower and 1772 Sydserff aisle of
former Parish Church, sited within graveyard of present
church (listed separately).
TOWER AND GATEWAY: 3-stage saddle-back rectangular-plan
tower, sited at SW corner of remaining low walls of
rectangular church. Roughly squared red sandstone rubble,
with regularly squared dressings. Formerly used as dovecot.
1st stage with low doorway in S elevation; blocked
arrow-slits in 2nd stage to S and N elevations. 3rd stage
recessed above set-offs, with crowstepped, gabled wallheads
to E and W, and blocked round-arched windows below
eaves level on each side. Evidence of former church gable
line on E elevation. Grey slates. Gateway to E of tower,
segmentally arched and roll-moulded arch within. Window
flanking to left.
SYDSERFF AISLE: small rectangular, single storey aisle,
originally adjoining to N wall of church, S gable and
projecting, narrower gabled addition to W, probably
William Burn, circa 1829. Coursed, stugged pink
sandstone with ashlar dressings; slab slate roofing.
Hoodmoulded pointed-arch doorway on S gabled elevation,
with corner buttresses, parapet to skew and sydserff
armorial above door. Original E elevation with small
rectangular opening (leper window, or for ventilation?),
and very small circular opening in N gable, with wreath

Statement of Interest

Scheduled Monument. The use of a surviving church tower

as a dovecot became quite common, it occurred for example,

nearby in the Friar's Croft, Dunbar, listed separately.

The parish church moved from Pitcox in 1561, and the Old

Parish Church presumably dated from this period. Permission

was granted in 1772 for John Sydserff of Ruchlaw to build

an aisle to N of existing fabric.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.