This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9626 / 55°57'45"N
Longitude: -4.3111 / 4°18'39"W
OS Eastings: 255833
OS Northings: 676810
OS Grid: NS558768
Mapcode National: GBR 0X.X9H4
Mapcode Global: WH3NN.RD9B
Plus Code: 9C7QXM7Q+2H
Entry Name: Dineiddwg, Mugdock, Milngavie
Listing Name: Mugdock, Dineiddwg, Main Entrance Gate Pier and Gate at West Lodge
Listing Date: 10 October 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 348899
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15337
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
The architectural firm Honeyman, Keppie and Mackintosh were commissioned by the entrepreneurial baker, William Beattie, to create his estate at Mugdock, near Milngavie. This was one of the practice's largest architectural projects. This work is recorded in six distinct phases in the firm's job books over a period of around nine years and consisted of the building of a mansion house (LB15336), two substantial gatelodges, greenhouses, a stables complex, alterations to estate cottages and various garden works (Mackintosh Architecture).
The style of the mansion and ancillary buildings indicates that they were likely the work of John Keppie. Surviving drawing for the gatelodges and stables are signed by John Keppie, but may have been drawn by a number of different draughtsmen within the practice. The level of involvement that Charles Rennie Mackintosh had in the gatepiers and gate at the West Lodge is not known. (Mackintosh Architecture)
Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. His reputation is as a pioneer of Modernism but his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.
Mackintosh is associated with over 150 wide-ranging design projects including work with the practice of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). His most significant work, during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art built in two phases from 1897 and culminating in the outstanding library of 1907. The German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts' is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings. Other key examples of his work include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761).
Listed building record revised in 2019.
Other nearby listed buildings