History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lahill House

A Category B Listed Building in East Neuk and Landward, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2238 / 56°13'25"N

Longitude: -2.8977 / 2°53'51"W

OS Eastings: 344435

OS Northings: 703833

OS Grid: NO444038

Mapcode National: GBR 2M.CWFD

Mapcode Global: WH7SJ.GTDM

Entry Name: Lahill House

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349145

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15508

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Newburn

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward

Parish: Newburn

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkton of Largo

Description

Various building dates. Principal rebuild circa 1830 with substantial additions, including 4 bays of west block, and probably incorporating later 18th century fabric in east range. Further alterations and additions mid and later 19th century. All conforms to Scottish Jacobean manner. Rubble-built with ashlar dressings. West elevation: off-centre

crow-stepped mid 19th century porch with door in lugged architrave, similar date for ground mullion and transomed windows and 2 north bays. 12-pane sashes to 1st floor windows rising into finialed gable heads (with kneelers); 2 corbelled apex stacks with diamond flues and cornices, similar gable-end stacks. Original house possibly 3 bays,

extended circa 1830 and linked to front range, linking bay on south front with large circa 1860 mullioned and transomed window; 2 late 19th century single storey finialed window projections on south, the eastern canted. Crowstepped gable ends, finialed gabled dormers; slate roof.

Statement of Interest

Formerly Hallhill. House is described as in ruins in OSA (1795), and is still in ruins on SRO RHP9426 (surveyed 1826-7), but the NSA (1836) speaks of Mr Charles Halket-Craigie of Dunbarnie having "greatly embellished his lands of Hallhill". Porch shown on 1st ed OS (surveyed 1854); Date 1897 inscribed on lead roof of one projecting south bay, but both projecting bays are shown on 1893 OS survey.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.