This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2037 / 56°12'13"N
Longitude: -3.1393 / 3°8'21"W
OS Eastings: 329416
OS Northings: 701821
OS Grid: NO294018
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.F2PK
Mapcode Global: WH6RG.RB9H
Entry Name: Balbirnie Park, South Lodge with Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350482
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16689
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
David Bryce, 1861 with 20th century extension to W. Single storey with attic, 3 bay, gabled lodge house. Polished and stugged ashlar. Chamfered base course and partial string courses. Roll moulded, shouldered doorcase, architraved windows and stone mullions.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door in advanced, gabled porch to right of centre and window in bay to outer right; broad gable to left with canted window at ground (centre section tripartite) below string course, advanced gablet above with stop cavetto chamfers flanking centre monogrammed datestone 'CB 1861' below stepped string course and tripartite window.
E ELEVATION: gable to left with tripartite window below blind tablet, lower recessed wing to right (extension?) obscured by trees.
W ELEVATION: slightly advanced gable to left with bipartite window to right at ground and window to left, tripartite window above at gablehead. Lower extension with door and window adjoining at outer left and abutted by later extension at NW.
Modern plate glass glazing in timber frames. Grey slates. Single and multi flue ashlar stacks with moulded bases and cornices, clay cans and decorative bargeboarding with drop finials.
GATEPIERS AND GATES: 6 square, rusticated gatepiers with nailhead panels, fluted moulding to centre of frieze and cavetto cornice;
4 outer piers with obelisk finials and 2 piers flanking main gate with decorative cast iron lamp bases. Arrowhead cast iron gates.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: single course chamfered ashlar wall with inset arrowhead railings and dressed rubble block boundary walls with moulded ashlar gablet coping.
Gillespie & Scott added a new bathroom to South Lodge in 1930. John Balfour became master of Balbirnie in 1837, he married Lady Georgiana Campbell (daughter of the Earl of Cawdor) in 1840 and this probably accounts for the initial 'C' joining with 'B' in the datestone.
Other nearby listed buildings