This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7959 / 54°47'45"N
Longitude: -4.9548 / 4°57'17"W
OS Eastings: 210146
OS Northings: 548565
OS Grid: NX101485
Mapcode National: GBR GJ41.34Z
Mapcode Global: WH2ST.VQR7
Plus Code: 9C6QQ2WW+93
Entry Name: Ardwell Mill
Listing Name: Ardwell, Ardwell Mill
Listing Date: 17 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350513
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16718
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Stranraer and the Rhins
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Early 19th century. Single storey meal mill, 2-storey to N, comprising barn, mill, and kiln. Linear-plan. Pointed rubble with some brick repairs and granite quoins.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 6-bay; 2-storey, 2-bay mill advanced to centre, brick infilled opening formerly for wheel to centre of ground floor, window opening to right, 2 openings to 1st floor; gableted 2-leaf boarded timber door breaking eaves to right return, small 4-pane window to ground floor of left return; small openings to adjoining barn to right; brick infilled doorway flanked and 2 irregular openings to kiln to left.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical; single storey; part brick infilled opening to centre.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 6-bay; single-storey, 2-bay barn with irregular small openings to left; 2-storey, 4-bay mill and kiln to right, large buttress to centre, flanked to left by opening to ground floor and 2 openings above, brick infilled doorway to right of ground floor and irregular openings to remainder of bays to right.
N ELEVATION: blank.
Glazing lost in all but 2-pane skylights. Piended grey slate roof with tiled and lead ridges. Remains of ventilator to ridge to N.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
As noted in Donnachie, the mill ceased working in 1967, and was formerly powered from mill-pond and lade, replaced by turbine power in 1945, in turn replaced by electric motor in 1955. The square cast-iron plates of the kiln were last used in 1963. The mill had 4 sets of stones, 3 for meal, the other for beans. Converted to residential use, 2000.
Other nearby listed buildings