This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7879 / 55°47'16"N
Longitude: -2.0938 / 2°5'37"W
OS Eastings: 394213
OS Northings: 654963
OS Grid: NT942549
Mapcode National: GBR F1TJ.H0
Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.TS38
Plus Code: 9C7VQWQ4+5F
Entry Name: Edrington House
Listing Name: Edrington House Including Ancillary Structure and Sundial
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354149
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19739
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Possibly 17th century in origin; recast and enlarged 18th and 19th centuries, notably 1849; further 20th century additions and alterations. Asymmetrical, 2-storey with basement and attic, 5-bay, near L-plan, classically-detailed house with full-height, canted bay to S; single storey addition to N. Whitewashed harl; cream sandstone ashlar dressings; coursed and stugged sandstone bay to S. Lintel course beneath corniced eaves to E and S; plain margins; flush cills. Single storey, rectangular-plan ancillary structure to W with sundial adjoining addition to S.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: stair oversailing basement with decorative iron railings accessing 2-leaf timber panelled door off-set to right of centre; round-arched, plate glass fanlight; columnar door surround with broken pediment; single window aligned at 1st floor. Bipartite window at basement to outer right; single windows at both floors above. Small windows at basement and ground in bay to left of entrance. 2-bay gable end slightly advanced to left with squat windows at basement; single windows at ground and 1st floors to left; painted blind imitation windows at ground and 1st floors to right; round-arched attic light centred in gablehead.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Full-height canted bay to outer left with architraved and chamfered surrounds to 5-light windows at all floors (squat windows at basement); blind shields set in rectangular panels between basement and ground; plaque with 'AD. JS. 1849' surrounding coat-of-arms centred between ground and 1st floors; blind shields in flanking bays; crenellated parapet. Regularly fenestrated in bays recessed to right (squat windows at basement).
W (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated range to right with 2-bay gable end to outer right. Pointed-arched door in single storey, lean-to addition to outer left; full-height wing set behind.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: full-height gable end projecting to left with single window at ground to left; small attic light off-set to left of centre. Single windows at both floors in bay recessed to right; round-arched doorway in screen wall to front. 3-bay gable end recessed to outer right with single storey, lean-to addition adjoining screen wall to front; single windows in all bays recessed above; single window at 1st floor to left.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; plate glass windows in part to canted bay. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; scrolled skewputts. Coped ridge and apex stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: former stable. Single storey, rectangular-plan structure with lean-to addition to S. Harl-pointed rubble; tooled sandstone dressings. E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door off-set to right of centre; garage opening to outer right. Opening off-set to left of centre; single window in subsequent bay to left. Lean-to addition recessed to outer left. Modern addition recessed to outer right. S (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with lean-to addition projecting to front. Grey slate roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
SUNDIAL: rectangular-plan, sandstone sundial adjoining ancillary structure comprising square-plan upper block with inscribed dial, remains of metal gnomons; block slightly recessed below inscribed 'Joseph Douglas of Edrington 1622'.
B Group comprises 'Edrington House', 'Edrington House, Lodge', 'Edrington House, Quadrant Walls, Gatepiers & Gates' and 'Edrington House, Walled Garden' - see separate list entries. Noted in the OS Name Book as '...a fine square built house in good repair with garden and offices attached.' Early records show that in 1622 a deed was granted by Lord Mordington, giving his brother Joseph Douglas '...the lands, crofts and tofts with the house of Edrington' - hence, presumably, the inscription on the sundial. It is therefore assumed that the house originates from the 17th century, although substantially rebuilt and remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries. The mid 19th century recasting was the work of its then owner, John Soday (hence 'JS' on the dated plaque). Rutherfurd's notes a Mr George Chirnside Esq. of Edrington as resident here in 1866, having purchased the property in 1864. A further wing was added in 1936 - this was removed in the later 20th century. One of the most significant houses in the parish.
Other nearby listed buildings