This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9127 / 55°54'45"N
Longitude: -2.9394 / 2°56'21"W
OS Eastings: 341378
OS Northings: 669238
OS Grid: NT413692
Mapcode National: GBR 70X2.FB
Mapcode Global: WH7V1.TNH4
Entry Name: Main Street, Oak House with Retaining Walls
Listing Date: 30 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 351517
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17557
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
18th century, reworked and with additions in early 19th century and circa 1970, when former building adjoined to E was demolished. Originally L-plan, currently T-plan. Harled rubble with painted stone dressings.
N ELEVATION: 5-bay. Full-height canted bay added at centre, with cornice and blocking course, circa 1890. Windows to each floor in bays to right, smaller at 1st floor. Segmentally arched pend to left of centre, given pair in outer bay at later date; windows above, that to outer left of circa 1970.
S ELEVATION: gabled jamb projecting off-centre to left (later extended to SE, though curtain walls only remain of this addition). Irregular openings to each floor on E and W sides of jamb; doorway in jamb by re-entrant angle to E, with round ached stair window flanking, 2 further ground floor windows and 1 1st floor; doorway in re-entrant angle to W, 1 ground floor window and 3 1st floor; doorway formerly leading to S extention at left of 2-bay S elevation, with 1st floor window above in bay to right. Conservatory additon to W gable end.
12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Grey and purple slates; swept eaves. End stacks, indicating former gable ends.
RETAINING WALLS: high rubble walls, formerly abutted by cottages, and later enclosing an orchard.
The history of the various inhabitants of Oak House (formerly known as Oakbank) is relayed by Whitehead, including Sir Archibald Geikie, Geologist. The round arched stair window once contained a stained glass window (depicting the Death of Christ) removed previosly from an early chapel in the village to the village school; the window was then removed to Wolverley Hall, Kidderminster, but was apparently moved again from there before 1937 (illustration in Whitehead's HISTORY).
Other nearby listed buildings