This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8965 / 55°53'47"N
Longitude: -2.7369 / 2°44'12"W
OS Eastings: 354018
OS Northings: 667282
OS Grid: NT540672
Mapcode National: GBR 90B8.84
Mapcode Global: WH7VB.X2X1
Entry Name: Yester House, Gardeners House (Bailiffs Cottage), Walled Garden, Stalk and Hot Houses
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352204
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18194
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
Possibly originated by John Adam circa 1725, with later
additions and alterations. Sited to W of Yester House.
GARDENER'S HOUSE: circa 1750. 2-storey, 3-bay house
adjoined to N wall of walled garden; red rubble sandstone
with ashlar dressing. Slightly advanced, gabled entrance
bay to centre of N elevation, with 1st floor window and
blocked oculus in gablehead; small-pane fanlight; windows
in flanking bays at each floor. Pentice roofed, stone
garden sheds adjoined to E and W. S (garden) elevation
incorporated in wall of walled garden at ground, and with
superimposed Gothick screen at 1st floor, rising above
eaves and with cornice; 3 blind pointed-arch windows,
hoodmoulded and with dormerheads behind corniced front;
square recesses flanking windows; currently with classical
Small-pane glazing patterns in sash and case windows. End
stacks. Grey slate piend roof.
WALLED GARDEN: rubble walls, ashlar coped and brick
lined. Serpentine coping added in earlier 19th century,
to principal wall. Main gateway with corniced ashlar
piers supporting gadrooned urn finials, flanking 2-leaf,
decorative wrought-iron, Arts and Crafts gates, circa
1900, with semi-circular overthrow. Lesser pedestrian
gateway at a distance, with similarly detailed gates.
Further gateway flanking gardener's house, (possibly
moved from Yester House), narrow and with lugged and
pedimented marble surround, scrolled detail by ground;
pulvinated frieze with acanthus ornament and carved
detail in pediment; 2-leaf simple, but decorative
wrought-iron gates. Lean-to hot-houses abutting N wall.
Hot-houses: fine glasshouses to N of wall garden,
possibly including peach house, Andrew Wood, 1791, and
vineries, Andrew Sheaver, circa 1850 (Garden Inventory,
Stalk: polychrome, square-section brick stalk by hot-houses
to N of walled garden.
In the Yester House Estate Papers is an account for work by Andrew Hay, wright, for 'work wrought by him att the Gardiners House at the Stables at Yester Anno 1724'
The work was paid for by John Hay of Hopes in 9th November 1724 and included couples for the roof, windows, joists, lintels, fireplaces, scaffolding for the masons and slaters and the hire of two horses. Charles Emerson was the son of the gardener at the time and he went on to act as an overseer for John Adam in the building work phase on Yester House in 1750-58.
Other nearby listed buildings