This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8445 / 55°50'40"N
Longitude: -4.383 / 4°22'58"W
OS Eastings: 250889
OS Northings: 663822
OS Grid: NS508638
Mapcode National: GBR 3M.4STZ
Mapcode Global: WH3P6.NC1C
Plus Code: 9C7QRJV8+QQ
Entry Name: Ralston Golf Clubhouse, Strathmore Avenue, Paisley
Listing Name: Ralston Golf Clubhouse, Strathmore Ave., Ralston, Paisley
Listing Date: 27 June 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352656
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18585
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Paisley Northeast and Ralston
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Circa 1800. Golf clubhouse situated in Classical former stables, comprising single storey, 7-bay, pedimented building, linked to 2 storey, 5-bay building to rear (S) with large single storey, 1970 extension to W and further smaller extensions to S. Squared and pinned sandstone rubble; some smooth ashlar margins. Base course, cornice. Raised margins. Doric pilasters separate bays; clasping at corners.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Advanced pedimented central bay with clasping corner Doric pilasters. Central modern part-glazed entrance door set in Venetian opening with side lights; flanking pilasters. Bays with rectangular window openings to ground with small paired blocked, former openings above with central Doric columns. Pedimented gable to E. Late 20th century single-storey linking corridor to S.
BUILDING TO S: 5-x single bay building. N elevation with timber entrance door to far left with fanlight and sidelights. Segmental-arched openings to right. S elevation with small paired, blocked former openings with central Doric columns to upper half of elevation.
Predominantly replacement plate glass timber sash and case windows to N; some 4-over 4-lying pane timber sash and case window to upper storey to rear property. Other multi-pane windows. Grey slates; gable stacks with decorative cans.
INTERIOR: (seen, 2013). Comprehensively modernised.
This is a fine, Classically detailed former stables building which has been converted into a golf clubhouse. The building is well-detailed, with pilasters, pediments and distinctive small, paired openings.
Ralston Golf Club has been in existence since 1904 and it moved into this property in 1914, having outgrown its previous clubhouse. Ralston House was owned at the time by Sir Charles Cayzer, and he offered his former stable block as a new clubhouse.
Ralston House was built in 1810 for a William Orr by David Hamilton and it is likely that the stables date from this time. The house was demolished in 1934.
List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13)
Other nearby listed buildings