This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8475 / 55°50'51"N
Longitude: -4.3912 / 4°23'28"W
OS Eastings: 250387
OS Northings: 664174
OS Grid: NS503641
Mapcode National: GBR 3L.4QVJ
Mapcode Global: WH3P6.J952
Plus Code: 9C7QRJX5+2G
Entry Name: Barshaw House, 215 Glasgow Road, Paisley
Listing Name: 215 Glasgow Road, Barshaw House
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391414
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44766
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Paisley Northeast and Ralston
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Late 18th century sections incorporated in substantial circa 1880 rebuild. 2- and 3-storey, severe Italianate mansion with basement and attic. Ashlar sandstone (original house much-weathered) with channelled and battered base course, sections of dividing cornice, eaves band and deep cornice, stone mullions.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical 7-bay elevation with 3 lower, regularly fenestrated and balustraded bays of original house (?) to centre, flanking bays advanced with 3-stage pedimented entrance tower in bay to penultimate left, doorway on return to centre, approached by steps and with consoled corniced canopy, bipartite windows to 1st and 2nd stages, tripartite to 3rd. Bay to outer left with broad, full-height 7-light (2-3-2) canted window. 3-storey bay to penultimate right advanced and pedimented with full-height canted window swept to square at 2nd
storey with tripartite window. Recessed 2-storey bay to outer right with door at ground flanked by lights, linked by console-bracketed cornice, single window at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: low 2-storey projection to centre with 5 closely grouped windows to each floor and half-piend roof.
W ELEVATION: projecting full-height window bay to outer left, tripartites to each floor, bipartite windows to each floor of bay to left of centre and later addition and fire escape in bay to right of centre, window altered as door with ramp access and bipartite window to outer right.
Timber plate glass sash and case windows, mostly blocked for protection (1997). Grey slate roof. Box dormers.
INTERIOR: not seen (1997).
A house is shown on the site in Ainslie's map, 1796, presumably the core which was later enveloped in the Hutchison work. The patron of this work was James Arthur, partner (from circa 1850) of Hugh Fraser, in what became Frasers department store. In 1912, the house was bought by Paisley Town Council and during the First World War was used as a military hospital, then as a maternity hospital to 1958 when it became a geriatric hospital, currently closed, the property of the Argyll and Clyde Health Board, (1997).
Other nearby listed buildings