This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.3195 / 59°19'10"N
Longitude: -2.9929 / 2°59'34"W
OS Eastings: 343582
OS Northings: 1048548
OS Grid: HY435485
Mapcode National: GBR L4Z3.7P0
Mapcode Global: XH8KG.B06T
Entry Name: Pierowall, Westray Baptist Church, Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352950
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18806
Building Class: Cultural
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Traditional County: Orkney
1850 with small addition to S. 3-bay; rectangular-plan; main block; with rectangular-plan porch centred at E (entrance) elevation forming overall-Tplan; narrower; lower-height addition to S extended to rear (W) late 20th century. Plain symmetrical Baptist church with piended gablets. Harled with stone dressings. Coped gables.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: finialled gable end of porch projects to centre; window to front; entrances with boarded timber doors to both returns. Large flanking windows set back to main body of church. Lower height addition set back to right; 3 windows (central one originally entrance).
W ELEVATION: small lean-to addition projects to centre. Large flanking windows to main body of church. Small late 20th century flat-roofed extension (to earlier S addition) projects to right.
N ELEVATION: blank gable end.
S ELEVATION: gable end of lower height addition projects to centre; small late 20th century flat-roofed extension adjoins to left. 2 small flanking windows (originally taller) set back to main body of church.
Mainly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to main body of church; multi-pane fixed timber frames elsewhere. Caithness slate roof laid in diminishing courses.
INTERIOR: later 20th century suspended ceiling to main body of church. Boarded timber dado, pews, screen wall to rear of raised platform with lectern and window shutters (all probably dating from latter half of 19th century).
BOUNDARY WALL: coursed rubble with rounded rubble coping; encloses large rectangular-plan plot of land to E.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A plain largely intact mid 19th century dissenting chapel, serving as a local landmark both architecturally and historically. Although there are no dissenting chapels mentioned in 'The Old Statistical Account' (1795), there were two (Anabaptist and Secession) by the time of 'The New Statistical Account' of 1845. This building would have been the successor to that of the Anabaptists, who, by the time of Groome's 'Gazeteer' had become known as the Baptists (he gives a date of 1807 for their chapel, presumably meaning their foundation/original chapel). It appears as 'Baptist Chapel' on the 1881 OS map.
Other nearby listed buildings