This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6068 / 55°36'24"N
Longitude: -2.6742 / 2°40'27"W
OS Eastings: 357623
OS Northings: 635009
OS Grid: NT576350
Mapcode National: GBR 93RL.VY
Mapcode Global: WH7WQ.WBRK
Plus Code: 9C7VJ84G+P8
Entry Name: South Lodge, Drygrange House
Listing Name: Drygrange, South Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls
Listing Date: 4 June 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353007
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18841
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
C G H Kinnear, 1889; remodelled by James Spiers, 1905. Cross-plan, 2-storey lodge with 17th century Scots Revival detailing on sloping site. Polished cream sandstone ashlar; raised cills. W (principal) ELEVATION: bolection-moulded door off-centre in canted entrance bay, tripartite window to left with single light at return of canted bays, corbelled above. 3-light canted window to N elevation. Elaborate sculpted pedimented heraldic panel to centre (insc: et industria probitate). Timber single-storey addition to rear.
12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows at 1st floor. Leaded replacement glazing to ground. Steep-pitched slate roofs, crowstepped gables with beaked skewputts. Single, tall, square centre stack and secondary stack in SE angle, both with moulded copings. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS: 4 gatepiers and terminal piers at enclosing walls: square ashlar piers, panelled. Outer pair of free-standing piers corniced; centre pair with heraldic panels. Cast iron gates and railings. Stone setts to driveway.
Part of a B-Group including 'Drygrange House (Grangehall Care Home, Formerly St Andrew's College) Including Garden Terrace Walls to South'; 'Drygrange, Walled Garden'; ' Drygrange, North Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, South Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, House to North of Steading'; 'Drygrange, Stables and Steading' and 'Drygrange, Summerhouse'.
A well-detailed Scots Revival lodge, remodelled by James Spiers and Washington Browne in 1905 from its earlier incarnation of 1889 by C G H Kinnear of Kinnear and Peddie. The elaborate heraldic panel above the main entrance, the steeply pitched crowstepped gables and central stack and corbelling all add to its architectural interest. Its interest is strengthened further by the good quality corresponding carving to the gatepiers. The capitals to the centre piers were originally surmounted by crown finials.
List description updated at resurvey (2010).