This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9185 / 55°55'6"N
Longitude: -2.847 / 2°50'49"W
OS Eastings: 347158
OS Northings: 669812
OS Grid: NT471698
Mapcode National: GBR 80K0.F7
Mapcode Global: WH7V3.7HJN
Plus Code: 9C7VW593+95
Entry Name: Chapel, Herdmanston
Listing Name: Herdmanston Chapel
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353074
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18890
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
13th century, rebuilt circa 1840. Remaining portion of former chapel built by Baron St Clairs, later serving as burial vault. Large cream ashlar blocks; slab roof. Rectangular plan, circa 30x14'. Doorway in E gable, pilaster flanked with blinded pointed arch panel springing above cornice of quasi-pedimented gablehead; angle pilasters, 2-leaf boarded doors 1840, with decorative cast-iron fittings and carved timber
panel. Small pointed in W gable, currently blocked. Blank elevations to N and window at centre of S elevation, blocked.
INTERIOR: vaulted and white-washed, 2 monumental slabs, 1 of 1594. Number of later memorial wall tablets. Former door, studded and with mask view-hole, currently kept inside.
Hermanston House largely 17th century, was demolished in 1970s. A parallel may be made in form to the Soutra Aisle, Midlothian. Steading and dovecot remain, and are listed separately.