History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Herdmanston Steading

A Category B Listed Building in Haddington and Lammermuir, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9194 / 55°55'9"N

Longitude: -2.845 / 2°50'42"W

OS Eastings: 347286

OS Northings: 669915

OS Grid: NT472699

Mapcode National: GBR MFB2.9FF

Mapcode Global: WH7V3.8GHY

Entry Name: Herdmanston Steading

Listing Date: 13 May 1991

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353076

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18892

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Saltoun

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir

Parish: Saltoun

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Pencaitland

Description

Circa 1805. Quadrangular stable block comprised of cottage range to N, classical stable range to S, carriage range to W and cartshed to E. Rubble with droved ashlar dressings and S elevation of S range.

S RANGE: 9-bay classical elevation to S; centre and outer bays breaking eaves with recessed round arched panels, impost bands, cornice and blocking course, former entrance at centre currently blocked as window; blinded windows in remaining bays. Machinery door (sliding doors) inserted in E end. Openings to courtyard blocked. Piend roof, grey slates. Interior whitewashed with evidence of former stall divisions and of niched hay-heck recesses. Scissor beam timber roof.

N RANGE: 2-storey cottages. 9 bays to N with doorway at centre; former segmental carriage arches to left blocked as windows, windows to right at ground; window to each 1st floor bay except penultimate bays. Courtyard elevation asymmetrical with rubble wall abutting at centre. Heraldic semi-circular panel of Sinclair family above doorway to left of centre, dated 1647 (removed from earlier stables or from Herdmanston House pre 1913); keystone immediately above door dated 1805 with initial S.

W RANGE: open to N end; 4 low segmental carriage arches to courtyard elevation (1 blocked) and with doorway to S.

E RANGE: blank outer elevation and gabled cartsheds to courtyard, with cast-iron columns. Plate glass sash and case windows to cottages. Grey slates to S and W ranges; pantiles to gabled cottages and cartsheds.

Statement of Interest

Herdmanston House was demolished in 1970s. Dovecot and former chapel nearby are listed separately. Severe classical style of S stable range bears similarities with Hedderwick stables, Dunbar.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.