This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8491 / 55°50'56"N
Longitude: -3.989 / 3°59'20"W
OS Eastings: 275572
OS Northings: 663558
OS Grid: NS755635
Mapcode National: GBR 00LT.62
Mapcode Global: WH4QJ.P7PT
Entry Name: Sykeside Road, High Palacecraig House
Listing Date: 29 April 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353105
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18914
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Old Monkland
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Airdrie South
Parish: Old Monkland
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably early 19th century. 2-storey, 2-bay Georgian country villa. Flanking singke-storey wings slightly later in date. Extensive single-storey outhouse ranges forming U-plan to rear, of various dates, from early 19th century onwards.
ORIGINAL HOUSE: white harled symmetrical ENTRANCE ELEVATION with shallow advanced centre bay; base course, cill course at ground, cornice and blocking course. Simplified pilaster architraved doorcase with plain consoles and canopy (pilasters with recessed panel detailing). Single-light windows; modern glazing. Shallow piended slate roof (contained within roof space is original oval cupola with calssical plaster frieze). Ashlar end stacks. Site slopes slightly E-W.
WINGS: shallow-advanced single bays with distinctive wide segmental-arched windows (each possibly with 2 mullions originally, as at Garnkirk). White harled with base course and narrow raised full height verticl margins, as at principal block. Side windows in both pavilions built up, probably in 19th century. Original glazing pattern and interior plasterwork lost (see note). Slated piended roof.
REAR ELEVATION: unrendered squared and snecked sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings. Bowed stair tower with conical slated roof and large multi-paned sash and case window at centre.
Symmetry of flanking windows disturbed at time of addition of subsidiary ranges extending N: ground floor windows moved in closer to stair. All windows with narrow raised margins and droved dressings; multi-paned sash and case glazing throughout.
INTERIOR: stone stair in rear stair tower, large stone newel recently retooled (1990); recessed niche in entrance hall facing door and smaller timber architraved niche above with moulded cill.
OUTHOUSES: (see note); ?early 19th century. Roughly symmetrical E and W single storey ranges extending N behind house; both ranges part demolished towards N. Sandstone random rubble with droved dressings and re-used lintels; axial ridge stacks. Variety of openings including and arch in E wall of E range (now with rubble infill and a small door with timber lintel to right, modern window to left) possibly an early gateway predating the house. Openings in surviving wall of E range built up in brick. Later 19th century brick-walled garden to W, mainly intact.
Built in the syle popularised in the west by David Hamilton. Glazing at the wings may originally have been of the type to be seen in Hamilton's designs: with stone mullions, possibly consoled with recessed panels as at doorcase. Palacecraig House and estate purchased in 1803 by ironmaster Wm Dixon (of Dixon's Blazes, the only blast furnace works in Glasgow in 1837. The estate changed hands in 1841 when purchased by Messrs. Baird of Gartsherrie.
Outhouses said to have accommodated coal miners.
Other nearby listed buildings